We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
Whether it’s in accounting, claims, IT, investments, legal, marketing, sales, or another department, come be part of a company where you can accomplish your goals while contributing to our social mission of becoming America’s most protective insurance company.
The candidate selected for the Sr. Cloud Architect/Engineer will join a Birmingham based team but this position offers workplace flexibility including in office, hybrid and fully remote working options. Candidates outside of the Birmingham market are encouraged to apply. This role is responsible for the design, implementation, and support of Azure and O365 cloud services. The Sr. Cloud Architect/Engineer works in tandem with our Enterprise Architecture and Application Development teams to ultimately deliver successful cloud-based solutions for the company. In addition to supporting core O365 services, The Sr. Cloud Architect/Engineer will participate in various Agile cross-functional teams and as needed, lead the design and implementation of Azure PaaS and IaaS services, constructs and deployment methods. The Sr. Cloud Architect/Engineer will also use knowledge of identity and access management in on-prem solutions and the cloud to support Azure AD, ADFS, and Azure B2C. The Sr. Cloud Architect/Engineer will define innovative solutions using concepts such as infrastructure as code, deployment orchestration and automation templates, ensuring Information Security requirements are held to the highest standard. The Sr. Cloud Architect/Engineer will interface with other senior level technicians and management and will educate and influence stakeholders and engineering teams in regard to effective cloud solutions, strategies, and best practices. Leadership responsibilities of this position include the participation, planning and management of technical implementations of various complexity, size and scale, along with mentoring less experienced team members.
- Orchestrating and automating the build of O365 and cloud-based platform solutions throughout the company
- Participate in the design, road map and support of applications in the cloud namely with Azure and O365
- Provide senior level architecture and technical guidance as new cloud workloads are brought into the organization.
- Dynamics 365 and Power BI design and support as new services and roles are being introduced as strategic initiatives within the organization.
- Ensure cloud environment standards are met in accordance with company security guidelines, using Azure Policy as a key control measure.
- Understand the basics of software development languages and implement solutions with various development tools used to create new code or update existing code used to support cloud service maturity (Terraform, JSON, Git, Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, etc).
- Research, recommend, and implement streamlined automation processes
- Participate in routine Agile sprint planning and daily standup meetings
- Support team objectives as it relates to emerging DevOps initiatives across the organization including continuous integration, continuous delivery, and release management strategies
- Employing exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they become problems.
- Partner with peers and management to make informed strategic/big-picture decisions; as needed, interface with VP leadership in the organization
- Participate in disaster recovery tests and planning
- Provide support operations of multi-site, multi-vendor environments
- Must be a strong team player who can build report with others in the organization and be seen as a person that is easily approachable and helpful
- Create and implement simple to complex solutions for various operational support (Powershell, VM Scripting, etc.)
- Integrate monitoring and configuration services as appropriate, self-teaching advance skills as required
- Provide 24/7 support of the customer facing cloud solutions and participate in an on-call rotation with the team
- Resolves complex issues in cloud environments for business-critical applications
- Travel will be minimal and reasonable notice will be given when necessary
- College Degree Preferred with experience managing multiple technology projects of size and scale. Industry certifications a plus.
- 8+ years
- Certification in Azure – AZ 300, AZ 500 or AZ 400, preferred
- 8-10 years of experience in Information Technology, with hands-on experience in Cloud, from a Development and Architecture background
- Deep knowledge of cloud platforms and services in Azure
- 3 years of hands-on experience in Azure - Functions, API Managements, Azure Monitor, Blobs, VM, SQL, Event Grid, Microservices, Net Core, and other PowerApps
- 2 years of hands-on experience using O365 services, including Dynamics 365, Power BI
- 2 years of hands-on experience using Azure AD B2C for identity management
- 2 years of hands-on experience using Kubernetes, Docker, Containers
- 2 years of hands-on experience with infrastructure automation for continuous integration and continuous deployment of technical solutions leveraging Azure Services and Features
- Deep understanding of large-scale distributed systems with multiple operating systems
- Deep understanding of demonstrated hands-on experience on the following domains: Azure Active Directory, Active Directory, Azure AD Domain Services, Azure AD Connect, Azure AD B2C, MFA
- Experience with designing, migrating, implementing and managing Azure IaaS/PaaS/SaaS including Azure Load Balancers, Application Gateways, Azure DNS, Front Door, Storage Accounts, Virtual Networks, Monitor, Security Center, and Log Analytics, Azure Core Platform: Computer, Storage, Networking, General automation, Azure Automation, Azure CLI, PowerShell scripting
- Experience with implementing various Azure Policy
- Understanding of key Azure services, to include Key Vault and Encryption process, preferred
- Experience setting up Enterprise level account structure and Security Models in cloud, preferred
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees fully contribute and thrive. We have always been a values-driven culture. Doing the right thing and serving people are part of our DNA, and we believe that valuing and embracing different backgrounds and perspectives is what makes us unique.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.