Life and Annuity Modeling and Analytics Actuary
- Birmingham, AL
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
Whether it’s in accounting, claims, IT, investments, legal, marketing, sales, or another department, come be part of a company where you can accomplish your goals while contributing to our social mission of becoming America’s most protective insurance company.
We are currently seeking a Life and Annuity Modeling and Analytics Actuary to join our modeling team. The selected candidate will be part of a team responsible for in force and new business modeling initiatives related to Protective’s life and annuity business that is valued and projected on PolySystems actuarial software. This role will have heavy interaction with the product-specific projection and valuation leaders. Also, the position will have frequent interaction with other areas of the company, including product development, risk management, corporate planning, accounting and finance. Position based in Birmingham, Alabama.
Protective Life Corporation was founded 1907 in Birmingham, AL and offers a broad range of life, specialty insurance and investment products. We are a company supported by values. Our growth and success can be largely attributed to our ongoing dedication to serving people and doing the right thing… for our employees, for our distributors, for the communities in which we operate and most importantly, for our customers. We have approximately 3,000 employees located in offices throughout the United States.
- Perform projections and advanced analytics to support all regulatory and business requirements, including some or all of the following:
- Business plan
- Embedded Value
- Annual cash flow testing and RBC exercise
- International Capital Standards
- Perform projections and advanced analytics related to in force business, which may include:
- Analysis of period over period projection results at a company and product level, explaining, documenting and communicating changes.
- Dynamic validations of projection models at a company and product level.
- Support other areas of the company when question arise about actual experience, reinsurance notices, possible acquisitions, etc.
- Develop tools to support analysis of results more effectively, including implementation of new technology like visual analysis software.
- Provide modeling expertise, testing, and analysis for implementing new functionality in models, which may include dynamic assumptions, predictive models, and future point stochastic modeling.
- Perform Value of New Business calculation to support Embedded Value reporting, including:
- Working with product-specific projection leaders to build well-defined, controlled processes and procedures for calculating VNB each period.
- Apply analytical tools to enable better understanding of VNB and comparisons to Corporate Goals VNB.
- Create reports, memos and documentation needed to effectively communicate VNB results and explain changes to period over period.
- Ideal candidate will be a career ASA or FSA with at least 3 years of actuarial experience related to asset/liability modeling, pricing or financial reporting
- Experience with PolySystems and/or ALFA required
- Knowledge of Statutory and U.S. GAAP valuation methodologies
- Actuarial Fellowship (FSA) or Associate (ASA) designation and Member American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and curiosity to drill into questions and issues to gain full understanding in order to share insights and explanations.
- Able to work well with other Protective employees
- Experience working in a collaborative environment
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees fully contribute and thrive. We have always been a values-driven culture. Doing the right thing and serving people are part of our DNA, and we believe that valuing and embracing different backgrounds and perspectives is what makes us unique.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Back to top