Software Engineer Senior
Senior Software Developer
What is ProQuest?
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world.
In Texas, a grad student unearths a lost work by Walt Whitman, opening new perspectives on the influential poet. In Germany, a cancer researcher’s refined workflow takes treatment a vital step forward. In Rotuma, a filmmaker inspires researchers everywhere to explore the culture of his tiny Polynesian island.
In classrooms, libraries, businesses and homes worldwide, people are doing extraordinary things with help from ProQuest, a leader in research and educational technology, based in Ann Arbor.
What will I be doing?
Lead by a manager focused on employee advancement and development, you will focus on redesigning one of ProQuest’s innovative e-books product from the ground up. By assessing, understanding and analyzing the legacy system, your team will find new, better, and faster ways to ingest and manage the content that ProQuest and it’s clients depend on. You will leverage a Java-based environment (Java, MySQL, Rest, SOAP, SQL Server, MongoDB) to transition new and existing functionality to the new platform.
Using the latest in cutting edge technology, our Senior Software Engineers design, implement, and test the latest products and functionality of the ProQuest product line.
- Implement software for specifications of high complexity
- Participate as a team member on various engineering projects, and lead small projects.
- Implements design changes to improve quality, performance, cost reduction, and standardization
- Responds to direct or indirect customer inquiries regarding function and design and attends customer meetings.
- Writes application technical documentation.
- Provides technical training and to other team members.
- Maintains knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new hardware / software for company use.
What will I need to be successful?
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 6 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to learn and master standard programming languages (Java)
- Ability to understand and programmatically manipulate XML.
- Ability to work with standard office tools.
- Ability to work with source control systems.
- Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio).
What would make me an ideal employee?
- REST (or SOAP) interface experience.
- Experience with NoSQL DB’s.
- Experience in AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Experience with Jenkins built systems
- Experience with Docker (Release System)
Other important information about this position:
- This position is typically located in a ProQuest office location; occasional remote work may be acceptable, subject to approval.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- This position requires weekday (Monday – Friday) attendance with scheduling flexibility available around standard business hours to accommodate clients in alternate geographies and time zones.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Meet Some of ProQuest's Employees
Senior Manager Of Customer Experience, North America
As Senior Manager, Sharon ensures timely, accurate, and high-quality customer service by working closely with Sales, Marketing, and Support Teams to focus on service and meeting customer expectations.
Back to top