Software Engineer Senior
Senior Software Engineer
What you will be doing…
Alexander Street Press (a ProQuest company) is the leader in streaming video for college and university libraries. We are currently seeking a talented Senior Software Engineer with expertise in the LAMP Technology Stack (Java, Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP/Python/Perl) who will be responsible for the design, implementation, and testing phases of the software development life cycle.
This team supports various aspects of a web-based platform including video content uploading, new functionality development, maintenance and some troubleshooting.
You will also…
- Implement software for specifications of high complexity for limited scale systems, or medium to high complexity for large-scale systems
- Act as team lead for small projects
- Implement design changes to improve quality, performance, cost reduction, and standardization through analysis of designs and problem solving techniques.
- Respond to direct or indirect customer inquiries regarding function and design
- Attend customer meetings
- Suggest alternative methodologies or techniques to improve efficiency
- Participate in the creation, implementation and administration of departmental policies, procedures, and work instructions
- Maintains knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new hardware / software for company use.
What you will need to be successful?
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 6 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in PHP, Python, XML, MySQL and some MS SQL server.
- Ability to write functional / detailed design specifications based on user or system requirements.
- Ability to work with source control systems.
- Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio).
Other important information about this position:
- This position can be remote, however the Alexandria, VA office location is highly preferred.
- This position requires weekday (Monday – Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
- The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Meet Some of ProQuest's Employees
Senior Manager Of Customer Experience, North America
As Senior Manager, Sharon ensures timely, accurate, and high-quality customer service by working closely with Sales, Marketing, and Support Teams to focus on service and meeting customer expectations.
Back to top