Software Developer, Sr.
ProQuest - Who we are...
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
What will I be doing?
In this position as a Sr. Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing and supporting web applications. This opportunity focuses on front-end web development for our Alexander Street customer facing platform which provides media content (video and audio streaming) for our global customers.
In this position, you will also...
• Implement software for specifications of high complexity for limited scale systems, or medium to high complexity for large-scale systems.
• Manually test and unit test all assigned applications.
• Participate as a team member on various engineering projects and may lead small projects.
• Implement design changes to improve quality, performance, cost reduction, and standardization through analysis of designs and problem-solving techniques.
• Respond to direct or indirect customer inquiries regarding function and design and attends customer meetings.
• Suggest alternative methodologies or techniques to achieving desired results.
• Maintain understanding of products, manufacturing processes, and product applications. Local expert in assigned project.
• Write application technical documentation.
• Review and revise new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high quality systems.
• Support assigned ProQuest systems.
• Provide technical training to other team members.
• Participate in the creation, implementation and administration of departmental policies, procedures and work instructions.
• Maintain knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new hardware software for company use.
Qualified Candidates must have...
• Bachelor's degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 6 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to learn and master standard programming languages.
• Ability to understand and programmatically manipulate XML.
• Ability to write functional / detailed design specifications based on user or system requirements.
• Ability to work with standard office tools.
• Ability to work with source control systems.
• Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio).
• Ability to work in an agile environment.
It would be awesome if you also had...
• Master's degree in degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Business Management.
• Proficient understanding of HTML5 and CSS3.
• Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
• Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
• Experience with other programming languages such as PHP, Python, or Perl, and familiarity with content management systems (CMS), Drupal preferred
• Working knowledge of React Frameworks
• Experience using JW Player.
Other important information about this position:
• This position can be based out of ProQuest's office in Ann Arbor, MI or our new Alexandria, VA office located in Old Town.
• Occasional travel is required.• This position requires weekday attendance and may have some flexibility around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code... yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you take pride in creating amazing software in a collaborative environment, please consider joining our talented team!
Back to top