Senior Software Engineer - Progress
ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world.
ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
Senior Software Engineer – Oasis
What will I be doing?
As a Senior Software Engineer at ProQuest supporting our Oasis product, you’ll be working with a close-knit team who prides themselves on collaboration and efficiency. This role will be 70% new feature development and 30% maintenance. The current technology stack is built on Progress 4GL and Open Edge.
If you’re a Software Engineer who appreciates the challenge of supporting legacy software and finding new, creative ways to leverage a blending of new and previous technology, keep reading!
In this position, you will also…
• Implement software for specifications of high complexity for complex, scalable systems.
• Manually test and unit test all assigned applications.
• Participate as a team member on various engineering projects, and lead projects.
• Implement design changes to improve quality, performance, cost reduction, and standardization through analysis of designs and problem solving techniques.
• Respond to direct or indirect customer inquiries regarding function and design and attends customer meetings.
• Suggest alternative methodologies or techniques to achieving desired results.
• Maintain understanding of products, manufacturing processes, and product applications. Local expert in assigned project.
• Maintains knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new hardware / software for company use.
Reasons you should apply...
1. You’ve mastered Progress 4GL ABL or OOABL and can’t wait to demonstrate your skill set!
2. You enjoy working in an Agile environment with small teams and highly collaboratively environments.
3. You yearn for the next puzzle or challenge and love the adrenaline rush of a fast-paced environment.
This job may not be a fit if...
1. You haven’t used Progress in any of your professional experiences.
2. You prefer to be heads-down and to work independently of the team.
3. You enjoy the status quo and adhere to the adage, “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it”.
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 6 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Progress 4GL (ABL, OOABL)
• Experience in Object Oriented ABL
• Progress OpenEdge database design and performance
• Experience in developing Character based applications in Progress
• Ability to write functional / detailed design specifications based on user or system requirements.
• Ability to work in an agile environment.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Experience in converting application from procedural progress to Object oriented progress.
• Experience in Modernizing the legacy Progress OpenEdge applications
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a passionate programmer who takes pride in the work that you do, please consider joining our talented team!!
Other important information about this position:
• This position is typically located in our Ann Arbor ProQuest office location; occasional remote work may be acceptable, subject to approval.
• Occasional travel may be required, less than 5%.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with scheduling flexibility available around standard business hours to accommodate clients in alternate geographies and time zones.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
Back to top