Metadata Librarian Lead
- Ann Arbor, MI
Ex Libris, a Proquest Company – Who we are…
Ex Libris, a ProQuest company, is a leading global provider of cloud-based solutions for higher education. Offering SaaS solutions for the management and discovery of the full spectrum of library and scholarly materials, as well as mobile campus solutions driving student engagement and success, Ex Libris serves thousands of customers in 90 countries. For more information about Ex Libris, see our website, and join us on Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Metadata Librarian, Lead
What will I be doing?
As a member of the Content Operations team, the Metadata Librarian Lead (Cataloging) manages all aspects of metadata as the data progresses through the system in support of Ex Libris products and responsible for creating, enhancing and reconciling MARC and other authority data in Ex Libris knowledgebases. The ideal candidate is someone who is excited about the future of library metadata beyond MARC and who has a grounded understanding of the role that metadata plays in driving library services.
In this position, you will also…
• Provide leadership within the Content teams identifying new strategies to improve metadata and authority data acquisition workflow and providing supporting documentation to move these strategies forward toward implementation
• Create data management requirements and specifications across many different metadata standards that support organizational initiatives
• Drive scope and timeliness of the metadata tracked in Ex Libris knowledgebases , creating authority records, and normalizing knowledgebase titles to the authority records to ensure bibliographic accuracy for customers
• Ensure the quality of the knowledge bases by running quality control reports and creating system rules to manage issues associated with the metadata through the update cycle (e.g., title splits, additions, deletions, and adding metadata points to authority data, such as standard identifiers and subjects)
• Review publisher websites, national bibliographies, national library catalogs, publisher catalogs, and other secondary sources to select, catalog and subject classify new titles for addition to the knowledge bases
• Analyze and inspect databases for complexity and assigns to Metadata Librarians or outsource vendors for data acquisition
• Support all customer-facing communication associated with all areas of subject matter expertise
• Participate as the team’s primary contact and subject matter expert for special projects that support PQ. For these projects, the Sr. Metadata Librarian is responsible for ensuring data and metadata management requirements are clearly defined, and often will be called upon to support the development of the data specifications associated with the project.
• Provide training and coaching to team members within Content Operations and in other teams across ProQuest
• May represent PQ and Ex Libris to the industry, participating in conferences and developing relationships with key industry contacts (publishers, standards committees, and customers)
• Demonstrate customer focus by quickly analyzing and correcting issues reported by customers, Library Support and/or providers. Resolves incidents within defined timeframe established by the department
• Develop and maintains relationships with both key MARC record providers and customers to support proactive identification of improvements for department processes and systems
• Document best practices associated with management of workflow and metadata use
• Participate in close collaboration with software development team and other product groups in the company to help increase organization-wide understanding of data and metadata requirements and optimize the effectiveness of design implementations
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Masters’ degree or higher in related field, such as Library Sciences
• At Least 3 years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Knowledgeable of bibliographic metadata standards (e.g., MARC, BIBFRAME, RDA, FRBR) or aspects of electronic resource management within a library setting
• Demonstrated proficiency in managing publication metadata to defined specifications
• Excellent researching and problem solving and troubleshooting skills, including the ability to analyze, compare, evaluate, reconcile and order data
• Ability to work effectively across functional groups to meet aggressive schedules
• Ability to learn quickly and efficiently within an environment of changing priorities
• Ability to work independently and take ownership of assigned databases, metadata, and client relationships
• Attention to detail and accuracy while handling a high volume workload
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• NACO/SACO training from Library of Congress
• Understanding of Bibframe and linked data in a library environment
• Experience in creating MARC records following RDA or AACR2 cataloging rules
• Some knowledge of XSLT, Java, Perl, Ruby, Python, or other programming languages that aid in data manipulation is very beneficial
• Fluency in additional languages
• Project management skills and experience
Other important information about this position:
• This position is based in the Ann Arbor ProQuest office.
• Occasional travel may be required.
•This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
Back to top