Metadata Librarian @ ProQuest
Are you excited and intrigued by the information industry? ProQuest's market-leading products are a great opportunity to use your analytical abilities to solve puzzles and provide valuable information to students, researchers and librarians. As a Metadata Librarian, you will partner directly with ProQuest's academic content providers to ensure that their metadata is accurately represented within Ulrichsweb (click here for more info on ulrichsweb). You will play a pivotal role in overall customer satisfaction and data integrity through effective communication with both the content provider and the Librarian user. Your contributions will help to maintain the high-level of quality that our users have come to expect of ProQuest products.
Additional Responsibilities Include...
- Drives scope and timeliness of the metadata and content tracked in Ulrichsweb databases and systems
- Ensures the quality and breadth of Ulrichsweb databases; accurately adds new metadata and content, validates the correctness of metadata and content updates, runs various quality control reports, creates system rules to manage issues associated with the metadata and content through update cycles
- Demonstrates customer focus by timely analyzing and resolving errors and incidents reported by clients, Library Support, and/or publishers
- Develops and maintains relationships with both key content and metadata providers, publishers, and clients to support proactive identification of improvements for department processes and systems
- Assists with maintaining the department documentation and training manuals, including identifying best practices and championing improvements associated with management of workflow
- Responsible for contributing to data management requirements and specifications that support organizational initiatives
- May provide the following: training to new Metadata Librarians, Customer Experience, and Sales; help identifying new strategies to improve content and metadata acquisition and integration workflow; assistance to senior members of the team on projects; ideas for new internal tools or improvements to existing ones; representation to the industry, developing relationships with key industry contacts (publishers, standards committees, and customers)
Qualified Candidates Must Have...
- Bachelor's degree in related field, such as Library Sciences, plus at least 2 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledgeable of bibliographic metadata standards (e.g., MARC, BIBFRAME, RDA, FRBR) or aspects of electronic resource management within a library setting
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing publication metadata to defined specifications
- Experience working with library industry and/or other bibliographic databases, and ability to deftly enter and manipulate data within them
- Experience managing customer relationships and proven customer service focus.
- Must be proficient in Spanish and/or French
Superstar Candidates Will ALSO Have...
- XML, XSLT, Ruby, and/or other programming languages that aid in data manipulation
- Fluency in additional languages other than English
This job will be a great fit for you if...
- You love the challenge and take great pride in solving the puzzle
- You have mastered Spanish, French, Italian... Or all 3!
- Details, details, details.... You LOVE the details.
- This role might not be the right fit if...
- You need things to happen quickly to achieve job satisfaction
- You don't like having to go searching for the answers
- Working independently is not an attractive prospect
Other important information about this position:
- This position is typically based in a ProQuest office location and is not appropriate for full or partial remote work
- Occasional travel may be required
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible
Meet Some of ProQuest's Employees
Working within the Professional Services Group, Laura acts as a customer advocate and liaison, helping librarians as they use Rosetta for digital preservation—and communicating their needs to Development Teams.
Back to top