Director, Product Management - Text Data Mining
ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
ProQuest products are a gateway to the world’s knowledge. Researchers find three centuries of newspapers (e.g., New York Times, Wall Street Journal); hundreds of million pages of Government documents; more than half a billion academic e-books; collections of important scholarly journals and the world’s largest collection of dissertations and theses supporting many fields of study. Our vast collections span six centuries, all disciplines and include the diverse content of more than one billion documents needed by researchers.
What will I be doing?
Do you have a passion for products and an attitude to win?ProQuest is seeking a Director, Product Management to establish a new line of analytical products in our largest business unit, ProQuest Information Solutions. The Director will champion growth strategies to address customer needs in data analytics, text & data mining and machine learning.
The Director, Product Management gathers market-driven requirements by consulting with customers, prospects, analysts, and other external resources to set future product direction, manage product delivery and lifecycles, and achieve commercial objectives.
In this position, you will also...
- Identify data analytical market segments to target for market research and product discovery, including customer insight techniques, market opportunity assessments, and an understanding of customer development programs.
- Work closely with sales team on go to market strategy to launch a new product line. Prospect and engage target audiences to acquire customers and support onboard sales events to drive sales growth.
- Create and present business plans for approval; including costs, ROI, financials, competitive analysis, product / market fit, and size of opportunity.
- Take ownership to drive top line profitable results by managing major cost drivers and cost trade-offs throughout product lifecycle.
- Establish the value proposition and strategic positioning within the PQ portfolio and competitive offerings in the market.
- Create and execute a go to market plan including positioning, pricing, product bundling options, targeted segments, competitive analysis, and value proposition.
- Manage the process of new product introduction from initiation and specification to delivery and commercialization.
Five reasons you should apply...
- You can innovate for impact, energized by tough challenges, willing to face adversity head on, willing to challenge the status quo and take an unpopular stand if necessary.
- You possess a drive for results, a passion for our products and solving customer problems, steadfastly pushing self and others to exceed goals, bottom line oriented, taking initiative and ownership for outcomes.
- You have the ability to lead, influence, and motivate across teams in a global, matrix structure, without relying on hierarchy.
- You have an explorer mindset, quickly learning and applying new technologies to reach new audiences or to enable new business models.
- You are an articulate and persuasive communicator, as both a writer and a speaker, who uses data to support arguments.
This job may not be a fit if...
- You are not driven by high energy, innovation and new technologies.
- You are a perfectionist and avoid risk in favor of the familiar.
- You feel anxious and unable to do your best work when facing challenging deadlines.
- You are not bold or committed enough to push through challenges.
Qualified Candidates must have…
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in a quantitative field such as economics, business or engineering
- At least eight years of prior product management experience
- Experience effectively leading and coaching a team of product managers to success.
- Ability to effectively translate data analysis in a way that can be easily understood and utilized by the product team.
- Strong presentation skills & thought-leadership exhibited by confidence in global/cultural communications with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Prior experience and a solid understanding of financial modeling and ROI.
- Understanding of ProQuest’s key markets.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
- MBA or other advanced degree.
- Track record of success in marketing and launching new products and working closely with sales to close the deal.
- Prior experience using SVPG and/or Pragmatic Marketing approaches in product management.
- Knowledge of or experience working in Academic Library marketplace.
- 3 years of experience working for ProQuest/Ex Libris
Other important information about this position:
- This position is can be based in the Ann Arbor, MI ProQuest office or other office location in New York, D.C. or Chicago.
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours. Occasional travel may be required.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
- Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers.
- We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
- We hold fun on-site events.
- Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative.
- We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
- All our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you’re in search of a position in Product Management that is challenging and fun, please consider joining our talented team!!
Back to top