Director, Academic Relations
ProQuest - Who we are...
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader.
What will you be doing?
As Director of Academic Relations, you will maintain, retain and restore university participation in the ProQuest master's theses and PhD dissertation dissemination program among universities in North America by engaging and working effectively with deans of graduate studies. You will have the exciting opportunity to explore and plan new services to postgraduate students worldwide, expand the company's value proposition and its brand beyond the administrative staff in these graduate programs.
If you would enjoy transitioning to an industry position from university administration, please keep reading!
In this position, you will also...
• Maintain and expand the profile of ProQuest in the graduate, academic communities in North America and other leading countries.
• Proactively manage and establish multiple and varied stakeholder relationship with academic institutions for the dissemination of graduate works, especially those well-established schools.
• Build and cultivate a network of thought leaders within the graduate school and academic library community in North America and other leading countries that can shape market opinion and inform ProQuest strategy and execution.
• Help formulate longer term business strategy and PQDT branding strategy to sustain growth of the dissertation business unit.
• Function as the primary customer voice in developing and expanding the ProQuest ETD Administrator.
• Work with internal functional departments such as technical support, customer services, conference services, marketing/branding and development teams to prioritize critical new functionality to support submission of graduate works in electronic form.
Qualified Candidate Must Have...
• PhD required, with a preferred field of expertise in social sciences, humanities or sciences.
• Minimum of ten years of experience within the university administration environment and/or publishing industry required.
• Experience in academic dean's office or similar university administration preferred; scholarly publications and 3-5 years of university teaching or equivalent in academic environment.
• Demonstrable university environment experience and success.
• Personal experience of academic research and writing.
• Strong leadership in the university sector and effective communication with high level leaders in the academy.
• Solid negotiation skills, including contract negotiations and the ability to craft new solutions and business models; strong presentation skills.
• Demonstrable success working in teams.
• Some experience in product development and product marketing.
• Familiarity with issues and trends affecting higher education; keen business acumen and insight; thorough understanding of dissertation publishing; understanding of trends in scholarly communication and the higher education market; ability to conceptualize complex processes.
• Skilled in lead-without-authority. Ability to inspire trust and confidence in team, ability to motivate performance and manage accountability in others; ability to communicate vision and translate as expectations to team.
• Assertive, creative business development inclination and aptitude.
Other important information about this position:
• This position can be based at ProQuest's office in Ann Arbor, MI or other office location; may be conducive to remote work option, based on approval.
• Ability to travel up to 35% is required.
• This position requires weekday attendance with some scheduling flexibility.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you take pride in providing excellent customer service in a collaborative environment, please consider joining our talented team!
Meet Some of ProQuest's Employees
Justine works with academic libraries, guiding their transition from a previous ILS—integrated library system—onto Alma, helping to migrate all of their data and educating the librarians about the system.
Back to top