- Pittsburgh, PA
More than ten years ago, Propel started as a dream. The dream was to build an organization with the capacity to transform public education in Southwestern Pennsylvania so that all children have access to high performing public schools. Today, that dream is a reality.
Propel has become one of the largest, fastest-expanding set of charter schools in Pennsylvania with the highest levels of student achievement among Pennsylvania public school districts serving high poverty areas. The first school opened in 2003 with 180 children, occupying a small hospital basement. In 2016, almostthan 3,700 K-12 students attend elevenrenovated facilities in Homestead, McKeesport, Montour, Munhall, Turtle Creek, Braddock Hills, Northside, Pitcairn and Hazelwood.In August 2017, Propel will add two more schools to the Propel Schools Network - Montour Middle and Montour High School.
Our Mission is to catalyze the transformation of public education so that all children have access to high performing public schools. Propel owes its success to the hard work and dedication of its people, both in and out of the classroom.
Propel Schools seeks a dedicated and inspirational Principal for Propel Schools.Principals oversee school performance and operations, making structural, budgetary and personnel decisions that promote the vision and instructional best practices of Propel Schools. As a member of the senior team, the Principal will play a pivotal role in leading a high-performing community of teachers and administrators and in enhancing a participatory, student-centered and rigorously outcomes-drive culture.If you are resilient, hardworking, team-oriented, open to feedback, have grit, and are willing to do whatever it takes to contribute to closing the achievement gap for children impacted by poverty and race, then we invite you to consider a career with Propel Schools.
- Drive and support implementation of Propel Schools vision and Promising Principles to ensure a positive, achievement-focused school culture among teachers, staff and students
- Lead, supervise, and develop a high-functioning team of educators and operations personnel who are focused on driving superior academic performance and fostering personal responsibility
- Supervise instructional methods, evaluate lesson plans and coach teachers to ensure effective instructional strategies
- Engage parents and other community members in school and extracurricular activities to engender a neighborhood-centered approach to learning and development
- Create, manage, and evaluate operational processes to ensure consistency with Propel Schools’ values and goals
- Maintain compliance with state and federal regulations for education standards/requirements
- Ensure effective collection and analysis of student performance data to identify struggling students, curriculum shortfalls, and teacher quality issues
- Passionate commitment to Propel Schools’ mission
- Superior grasp of effective instructional and behavioral methods and strategies for educating urban youth
- Strong process, people, and project management skills with the proven ability to train, supervise and coach professional staff in order to foster a cooperative team environment
- Intellectual agility, a commitment to maintaining rigorous standards, and a demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute on multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Ability to leverage computer software programs and other technology that will support the learning environment
- Understanding of public education and charter schools is desirable
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior leadership, Propel’s Board of Directors; school leadership and other staff and stakeholders
- PA Criminal, Child Abuse and FBI Fingerprint and recent TB test (must be completed prior to start date)
Deadline to apply: Open until filled.
Back to top