Part Time Security Officer - Propel Northside
- Pittsburgh, PA
Every day, Propel strives for the extraordinary. We can achieve it - but not without extraordinary people who take society\u0027s injustices to heart and have the vision and energy to inspire others.
Almost 15 years ago, Propel started as a dream. The dream was to build an organization with the capacity to transform public education in Southwestern Pennsylvania so that all children have access to high performing public schools. Today, that dream is a reality.
Propel has become one of the largest, fastest-expanding set of charter schools in Pennsylvania with the highest levels of student achievement among Pennsylvania public school districts serving high poverty areas. The first school opened in 2003 with 180 children, occupying a small hospital basement. In 2016, almost 3,700 K-12 students attend eleven facilities in Homestead, McKeesport, Montour, Munhall, Turtle Creek, Braddock Hills, Northside, Pitcairn and Hazelwood.
Our Mission is to catalyze the transformation of public education so that all children have access to high performing public schools. Propel owes its success to the hard work and dedication of its people, both in and out of the classroom.
Propel Schools is seeking a part-time School Security Officer to join our amazing team at Propel Northside. The School Security Officer supports and facilitates the educational process within Propel Schools by providing a safe and secure environment through building and establishing meaningful relationships with students and staff and proactively interacting with the school community to ensure the enforcement of city and state laws, preservation of public order, protection of life and the prevention, detection, or investigation of crime. The incumbent will work effectively with students, parents, school personnel and community agencies to support teaching and learning in the schools. The School Security Officer will patrol district property to protect students, staff and visitors from physical harm and prevent loss to district property resulting from criminal activity.
This position is for 20 hours per week. Selected candidates will work Monday - Friday either 1-5 pm or 2-6 pm with some weekends based on events. Selected candidates will be eligible to receive Health Insurance Benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patrol district property for suspicious activity, unauthorized persons on campus, or unauthorized entry after hours.
- Provide in-service training to help administrators be better prepared to deal with security –related matters and serve as a wrap-around services team member to support student success.
- Work closely with the principal and staff of the school to foster a better understanding of the law enforcement function to maintain a secure learning environment. Proactively work with the school’s leadership team and collaborate with school’s administrative team on safety protocols and procedures.
- Serve as a visible and active law enforcement officer on campus dealing with law-related areas such as drugs, traffic, trespassing, fighting, and thefts. Enforce campus rules and regulations.
- Conduct routine patrols of assigned facilities to include buildings, parking lots and district owned, leased, or rented property; Operate district equipment to include alarm systems, surveillance equipment, and patrol units when necessary.
- Take law enforcement action to protect against unwanted intruders. Identify and prevent (through counseling and referral) delinquent behavior, including substance abuse. Make arrests only when necessary to protect students, staff and school property.
- Work collaboratively with public safety agencies to serve as a liaison between school and community to deter criminal and delinquent behavior.
- Conduct courses and workshops for students, staff and parents to promote social awareness, relationship skills, self-management, self-awareness and responsible decision making.
- Coordinate security for crowd and vehicle control at extracurricular activities and special events. Monitor and instruct students, visitors, and district personnel on proper and lawful campus or facility behavior. Help to define and maintain a respectful code of conduct.
- Assist other law enforcement agencies with incidents involving local criminal activity that may impact the safety of the environment for students and staff. Serve as the initial first responder and school safety coordinator for campus emergencies.
- Respond to calls on crimes against person or property in progress, report crimes that have already occurred, and intrusion/fire alarms; perform preliminary investigation at the scene (e.g. gather and preserve evidence, take statements). Prepare written reports, maintain daily logs, and obtain and serve arrest and search warrants as necessary; testify in court as required.
- Subdue offenders and criminals by using the minimum amount of force needed to protect the officer and other persons.
- Provide classroom presentations on crime prevention and fundamental concepts and structure of the law. Teach law related education, de-escalation techniques, and conflict resolution to students and staff.
- Provide instructions and directions to others as it pertains to law enforcement matters and emergency situations.
- Conduct security building assessments for schools; guard, check and secure doors, rooms, buildings and equipment.
- Operate a two-way radio and qualify with a department issued firearm.
- Perform other duties as assigned by appropriate supervisory personnel and school administrators.
- 3+ years of work experience in law enforcement in a traditional law enforcement agency or school environment required
- Ability to work with youth and adults in the school setting.
- Successfully completed PA Act 120
- Advanced skill in verbal de-escalation
- TB Test
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Act 114 FBI Clearance
- Act 151 Child Abuse Clearance
- Mandated Reporter Training
- Act 168 Sexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure
- Act 24 Arrest and Conviction Disclosure
Internal deadline: June 19th
Back to top