High School Student Mentor
- New Kensington, PA
The High School Student Mentors will have a dual role in the virtual afterschool program.
- Student Mentors will work with Mentor Leaders to learn “how to” be a good mentor/role model for middle school students. The responsibilities of a High School Student Mentor will include but are not limited to the following; valuing what others have to say, developing trust and respect, maintaining confidentiality, helping mentee to increase confidence and self esteem by listening and creating strategies, assisting with the transition into high school.
- Student Mentors will take the lead on the Student Action Team. The Propel Student Action Team is a student centered high school youth leadership group that meets regularly throughout the school year to discuss, strategize and address issues affecting students both in their schools and communities. Students learn the importance of civic participation in making change. They also learn about how to advocate for themselves and their interests.
- Covid 19- During the pandemic it is important to keep the conversation going with the Student Action Team. We would like to continue to support our students mentally, emotionally and financially during this time of uncertainty. Students will be expected to fulfill the following requirements during the pandemic and throughout the 2020-2021 school year.
High School Student mentors will be required to commit to the following:
- Meet twice a week for Action Team meetings via Zoom.
- Develop a virtual student mentor program. (High school teen mentoring handbook)
- Create an uplifting/inspirational video for ALL Propel students during Covid 19.
- Strategize ways to increase student participation in virtual learning.
- Participate in Covid 19 Youth Express Segments with Saturday Light Brigade to share their voice during Covid 19.
- Invite local officials and community members to answer student questions on the pandemic.
- Create a Covid 19 service project to help those in need.
- Action Team members will be given the opportunity to run for or elect a secretary and/or chairperson.
- Help create and develop a parent action team.
All candidates will be required to go through an interview process via zoom.
Back to top