The Child Accountant will be responsible for thinking strategically with our Local Educational Agencies to help build a streamlined billing and reporting process. This is not your traditional Accountant role; this position requires extensive excel and database management skills.
Key Job Elements:
- Prepare detailed school district invoices according to the PA Department of Education Charter School regulations.
- Work proactively with the Data and Compliance Managers to prepare student billing and tracking processes.
- Interface internally with the school administration to ensure student records are accurate and kept current in the database management software.
- Respond to school district inquiries on account statements.
- Ensure that submitted information is accurate and in compliance with accounting standards, and government requirements.
- Develop expertise in all billing issues, a full understanding of the PA Department of Education, Charter School Funding, and applicable laws.
- Record invoices and payments into the accounting software.
- Research/solve billing discrepancies, trace root causes, and design preventative measures.
- Monitor AR aging and work with School Districts on past due accounts.
- Act as the primary contact for the Business Office during enrollment audits/reviews by School Districts.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field; Equivalent applicable experience will be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- 3+ years’ of progressively increasing responsibility in Accounting, Finance, or Project Management
- 2+ years’ billing experience preferred
- Excellent understanding of the accounts receivable process
- Expert with MS Excel including PIVOT TABLES and V-LOOKUP
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and an eye for spotting errors and discrepancies
- Ability to prioritize work while managing competing demands and delivering within required deadlines
- Strong Communication (written & verbal), and customer service skills with the ability to move issues through to resolution
- Demonstrated ability to interact with different experience levels of accounting staff and Operations Managers within the company
- Positive and proactive attitude, willingness to jump in and help
Must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 75% of the time while working at the computer within the office.
The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
The person in this position constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machineries, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
The person in this position frequently communicates with various internal and external stakeholders regarding financials. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Propel Schools is the largest network of public charter schools in Allegheny County consisting of 13 schools and approximately 4,000 scholars. Our mission is to provide high-quality schools to underserved communities. Each of our schools provide a rigorous academic environment and small class sizes where educators focus on providing each scholar with support and individualized attention. With one of the top starting teacher salaries in Allegheny County, a customizable benefits package and extraordinary career and professional development opportunities, Propel Schools is one of the area’s premier education organizations.