2021-2022 Elementary Science Teacher (4-6)
- Pittsburgh, PA
This Teacher position is accountable to collaborate with administrators and staff in planning for and leading students to learning success. This position will be accountable for developing and teaching curriculum based on the Pennsylvania Common Core Standards.
- Design coherent instruction using prescribed unit and lesson structures that align with state standards and emerging best practices.
- Develop and continually update learning resources and actively participate in professional development .
- Create an instructional environment characterized by respect and rapport that promotes a culture of learning.
- Use a variety of instructional strategies that engage students in age-appropriate learning, e.g., computer-assisted, cooperative learning, and various student-centered approaches.
- Manage student behavior and classroom procedures effectively which promotes a safe learning environment.
- Assess student learning using formal and informal assessment techniques and utilize that information to drive instruction.
- Implement student IEPs and participate in the special education process as needed.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and report student progress in accordance with school policy and procedure.
- Prepare and achieve annual performance expectations as prescribed or approved by administration.
- Communicate with families on a regular basis and reply to family initiated communication in a timely manner.
- Valid PA certification in corresponding content area that is being taught.
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills
- High level of personal organization and planning
- Ability to develop rigorous lesson plans and assessments
- Deep content area knowledge
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Willingness to participate in ongoing professional development
- Ability to utilize data to differentiate instruction
- A commitment to the Promising Principles of Propel
- Strong interpersonal skills, cultural competency, high degree of emotional intelligence and self-awareness with the ability to reflect and adapt to diverse environments.
- Skilled in the use of Google Suite and willingness to experiment and work with new technologies.
- Must be able to walk around the classroom at least 75% of the time while engaging with scholars.
- The person in this position constantly operates a computer and other technology in the classroom to support instruction.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with various internal and external stakeholders regarding curriculum, instruction and assessment. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
- When deemed age and/or developmentally appropriate, assist students in daily personal tasks (i.e.-tying shoes, assisting with coats, escorting to busses, and etc.)
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Propel Schools is the largest network of public charter schools in Allegheny County consisting of 13 schools and approximately 4,000 scholars. Our mission is to provide high-quality schools to underserved communities. Each of our schools provide a rigorous academic environment and small class sizes where educators focus on providing each scholar with support and individualized attention. With one of the top starting teacher salaries in Allegheny County, a customizable benefits package and extraordinary career and professional development opportunities, Propel Schools is one of the area’s premier education organizations.
Back to top