VP of Engineering
- New York, NY
Propel is on a mission to build modern, respectful, effective technology that helps Americans with low incomes improve their financial lives.
Technology and financial innovation consistently overlook the needs of these 50 million Americans. But we believe that in 2020, there is an unprecedented opportunity to design and deliver services tailored to their specific needs, contexts and motivations. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT on Forbes, Vox, and the New York Times. We see this as just the starting point - ultimately, we believe that technology should help any American who experiences financial hardship get back on their feet.
We’re hiring a VP of Engineering who is excited to build their dream engineering org. You’ll be responsible for the health of our engineering organization by directly managing all engineers at Propel, fostering professional growth and building a vibrant technical culture. Finally, you’ll be responsible for scaling Propel’s engineering organization, both by hiring new engineers and by implementing processes that enable us to grow sustainably.
Propel is a Series A-funded startup that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, Flourish, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- A rare opportunity to directly and immediately improve the financial lives of millions of low-income Americans
- A leadership role on a rapidly growing fintech team
- Diverse, high-functioning teammates that are driven by our mission
- A team passionate about using the good parts of ‘tech culture’ (execution speed, investment in tooling and infrastructure, empirical decision making, steadfast user focus) to drive a measurable positive impact on Americans who are traditionally overlooked by tech innovation
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits, including full health/vision/dental, 401k matching, parental leave, flexible hours
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn
What you’ll do:
- Manage individual contributor engineers of all levels at Propel (currently ten people, ranging from 3 to 24 years of engineering experience)
- Be responsible for the career growth and development of all engineers at Propel
- Embody Propel’s engineering values through energetic and creative leadership
- Lead our engineering hiring process
- Develop Propel’s engineering brand as a leading employer of mission-driven engineers - channels may include blogging, 1:1 evangelism, public speaking
What you have:
- Significant experience (5+ years) directly managing software engineers of all experience levels
- Significant experience (5+ years) as an individual contributor software engineer for a consumer facing product
- Deep passion for and experience in building and leading a diverse engineering org
- Strong record of leading in a startup environment
- Deeply values-driven approach to your work
- Sky-high emotional intelligence
- Experience with the cultural and practical challenges of scaling an engineering org
- Experience with all phases of technical recruiting - evangelism, sourcing, interviewing, closing
Back to top