At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers here. Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.
You'll be joining a small yet mighty team of engineers at a critical time as we scale our user base and build systems to deliver more value to our users. The code you write will reach people in need across the country and you'll have an opportunity to meaningfully impact users’ lives. You'll apply your skills and intuition toward fighting poverty with technology.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
What we offer:
- First hand experience scaling large systems
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Fort Greene, Brooklyn (or the opportunity to work remote!)
What you will do:
- Build software systems used by millions of Americans in their moments of financial need
- Work on:
- core app products (Vue, TypeScript), analytics (Amplitude, AppsFlyer)
- database scaling (PostgreSQL, Athena, Glue), base AWS infrastructure (Fargate, ECS, EC2, Terraform)
- deployments (Ansible), build pipeline (Jenkins), and more!
- Participate in weekly product sprints
- Effectively communicate with team members during code reviews
- Build the culture and processes of a growing engineering team
- Work with our design team to define and create a world-class user experience
What you have:
- We're looking for someone who has deep experience in inventing, building, shipping, and maintaining complex full-stack software
- Experience building and shipping something significant in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Ability to step into other technical roles (dev ops, data science, web dev) as the situation dictates
- Computer science degree, or strong enough fundamentals learned elsewhere that you could fool us
- Experience with or knowledge of government services, particularly safety net services like SNAP, WIC, TANF, SSI, SSDI, Medicaid, Section 8, is not required but nice to have
- Passion for making a difference in the lives of our users
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team, and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.