Senior Product Designer
- New York, NY
Propel is on a mission to build modern, respectful, effective technology that helps Americans with low incomes improve their financial life.
Technology and financial innovation consistently overlook the needs of these 50 million Americans. But we believe that in 2020, there is an unprecedented opportunity to design and deliver services tailored to their specific needs, contexts and motivations. Over 2 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. We already serve more than 2M Americans every month. Now we are building a second product to deepen our impact and expand our reach.
We’re seeking a talented and driven Senior Product Designer to join our growing Design team. You’ll be working as both a team lead and individual contributor, mentoring other designers while owning critical design projects end-to-end. As a Senior Product Designer, you’ll be guiding other product designers towards the best possible design and UX outcomes for our customers while staying mindful of constraints. You will also help set the gold standard for design execution by collaborating closely with the Head of Design to formalize Propel’s design vision, principles and unique perspective. Ultimately, you will shape a burgeoning design culture that is responsible for understanding and meeting the needs of people largely ignored by the financial services industry; in turn you will influence the financial services industry itself.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Medicaid or other social safety net programs.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to immediately improve the financial lives of millions of Americans living with limited or uneven income.
- A diverse, high-functioning, and growing team that is driven by a mission to build sustainable, human-centered services.
- True ownership over the company’s product design approach, spanning multiple products and channels -- and the leadership opportunity that entails.
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits.
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn.
- Design products as holistic experiences, not as a collection of features.
- Drive ideas from concept to production, from user research to sketching to wireframing to coordinating with engineering teams on prototyping and implementation.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with product managers, engineers and other stakeholders
- Take a systems approach to crafting, deploying and maintaining thoughtful design patterns.
- Help scope and contribute to research that tests and adjusts concepts based on user feedback
- Vividly represent and advocate for our customers across all decisions.
- You will find meaning in building modern, effective and respectful financial tools for Americans that lack them.
- You have 5+ years of experience designing consumer mobile and/or web platforms
- You have a strong command of design fundamentals of interaction design, visual design and information architecture with a mind for simplicity.
- You have a track record working in cross-functional teams to ship successful software products.
- You have experience or interest in a fast-paced startup environment where you’ll be asked to balance multiple priorities.
Back to top