Neighborhood Service Manager (Maintenance Supervisor)
The Neighborhood Service Manager is responsible for all physical operations of the Neighborhood, particularly preservation and maintenance of the asset. This position manages toward the owner’s objectives as described in the operating budget, in accordance with policies and procedures defined by the company with the primary objective of increasing the net operating income of the Neighborhood. The Neighborhood Service Manager provides a quality living environment for Neighbors and establishes a positive, productive working relationship with the Neighborhood staff. Coordinates and supervises activities relating to the maintenance and repair of physical systems of buildings and equipment.
This position reports directly to the Neighborhood Director and supervises all maintenance personnel such as: Neighbor Service Technicians, Neighborhood Porters, and Housekeepers. This position has a bonus potential of 8%.
Neighborhood Management - Contributes to the achievement of Neighborhood financial goals through effective productivity of maintenance staff and the cost-effective management of maintenance functions without compromising quality; Studies production schedules and inspects completed work for conformance and establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules; Prepares and implements changes in systems or assignments in accordance with the findings of the maintenance record keeping system (OneSite), to ensure more efficient management of maintenance operations of the Neighborhood; Responsible for contributing to Neighborhood occupancy goals by maintaining upkeep of all units; Effectively communicates in writing anticipated capital needs and maintenance requirements for operating budget;
Personnel Supervision - Monitoring and direction of scheduling all maintenance personnel and vendors, making most efficient use of available resources and assist with monitoring work force adherence to company policies and procedures; Directs workers engaged in painting, ground maintenance, repairs, and the upkeep of buildings; Confers with other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments; Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning, directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, and addressing complaints and resolving problems;
Daily Operations - Responsible for ordering parts and materials, inventory control, management of the apartment turnover process, troubleshooting and repair of all mechanical systems; Responsible for timely completion of service requests, including administration of the service order system; Performs activities of workers supervised; Responsible for all maintenance records and accurate tracking of expenses, both costs and capital items; Timely and accurate preparation of the maintenance recordkeeping system (OneSite) and summary documentation; Responsible for management of all emergency services; Pre-negotiation with vendors for over-time costs and emergency response time; Monitors usable life of all appliances, fixtures, boilers, carpets, linoleum, drapes, blinds, etc. to ensure maximum efficiency and for planning capital purchases; Use of a golf cart or other vehicle may be required;
Industry Expertise - Ensure that all vendors used on the Neighborhood are approved and meet all requirements of the Neighborhood; Be able to appraise damage, determine the ability of the in-house crew to remedy the problem, and/or the need to hire outside contractors; Responsible for solicitation of outside vendor bids, establishing parameters, and appraising those bids for quality, conformance to specifications, cost savings, and recommending desired vendors to managers; Regular involvement with landscape or other service contractors, including monitoring compliance with contract agreements, and monitoring and resolution of liability exposures; Responsible for providing front-line information, documentation and training regarding any Neighborhood-specific special needs (asbestos, remediation plan, deficient plumbing systems, roofs, etc.); Prepare all work scopes and contracts related to all capital projects; A sound knowledge of fair market pricing for outside vendors and an ability to negotiate better terms for the Neighborhood’s benefit is a crucial skill; Responsible for knowledge of, and participation in, company safety policies
Upholding Standards - Work force adherence to company policy and procedures; Participate in preventative maintenance programs and on-going maintenance and repair of all mechanical systems of the Neighborhood, to preserve and maintain the asset; Responsible for participation in the creation and monitoring of a safe workplace for self and staff, with goal of zero work related injuries; Conduct safety training and enforce safe work practices of the maintenance staff; Create and maintain an emergency plan for systems back up on the Neighborhood; Preparation of shut-off maps and training for all staff to assist in emergency operations; Perform additional duties and handle projects as assigned by the Neighborhood Manager; Achieve regular attendance in conformity with standards; Comply fully with all Prometheus Real Estate Group rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the Prometheus Real Estate Group’s facilities; Additional tasks as may be assigned from time to time by the Principal or others at the Principal’s direction; Occasional travel will be required based upon the Neighborhood’s needs
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Minimum of five years experience and/or training in apartment maintenance
- Minimum of two years supervisory experience
- Must have minimum three certificates from related institutions reflecting completion of maintenance related courses, such as BOMA, IREM and/or vocational programs, or four or more year’s inter-company experience.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, Neighbors, and the general public.
- Must possess basic computational skills; add, subtract, divide, and multiply. Must have the ability to compute rate, discounts, interest, and commissions. Must be able to prepare and analyze data figures and transcriptions generated by a computer
- Computer proficient in Windows, MS Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, OneSite and the Internet.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
- Ability to speak, communicate, read, write and understand the primary languages used in the workplace including, but not limited to, English in order to maintain safety in the workplace and serve internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local governing laws.
- Must be available for on-call services
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle or feel, to reach with arms, and to talk or hear.
- Most work tasks are performed outdoors. Temperature is moderate.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for several hours per day. Walking and standing are occasionally required. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with Neighbors, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Ability to work primarily with fingers to pick, pinch, type and carry out substantial movements (motions) of the wrists and hands as well.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock
Meet Some of Prometheus's Employees
A Promethean for over 10 years, Natasha has grown from Neighbor Ambassador to Portfolio Manager, where she now provides senior leadership and support to her on-site teams.
Back to top