Logging and Monitoring Director
Are you passionate about complex, high volume transactional systems? Do you enjoy mining very large data sets to find something meaningful? Does the idea of building an early warning system that prevents major system outages by detecting the problems well in advance excite you? If so, then we just might have the perfect job for you!
Priceline.com is seeking resourceful and motivated engineers to join our system monitoring team to build the next generation monitoring and alerting system for our e-commerce platform. You will work on systems that serve hundreds of millions of searches a day, generate billions of events from various points in the transaction path which are being collected and stored using the best of big data technologies, including Splunk, Cassandra, Kafka, Storm, Elastic Search, and Hadoop. Our search system performs highly concurrent, real-time searches across thousands of partners and collects and parses data from a diverse set of interfaces to get the best deals for our customers. Our business depends upon these partner connections, ability to detect problems and intelligently take corrective actions is critical for business continuity.
We are re-defining our approach to monitoring and alerting, and you will be a part of an important transformation for these systems. Our goal is to detect problems before they become outages, and to provide analytical and visualization tools to help get to the root cause of problems quickly. Your success in this role will be measured by our ability to implement effective systems that meet the needs of our customers, who are developers, SREs, and technical management.
- Lead and motivate highly skilled Logging & Monitoring team
- Build and own systems to provide common logging endpoints that capture billions of events per day, and deliver them to tools like Splunk, Hadoop and ElasticSearch
- Work with Developers and SREs to define monitoring and alerting requirements required for successful implementation of their applications
- Build visualizations using Splunk, Kibana and similar tools
- Provide tools to enable alerting based on customer-provided patterns and rules
- Understand data and application security needs and develop secured systems
- Perform gap analysis of existing IT logging and monitoring and come up with suggestions to improve ever changing systems
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree (Master's Preferred)
- 10+ years of experience in software development, at least 2 years in logging/monitoring related development
- Proficiency in Java language and multi-threaded systems
- Development experience with Splunk or Elastic Search based systems
- Proficiency with database technologies, including knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases and file storage
- Experience with visualization tools (Grafana, Tableau, etc.)
- Experience with threshold and pattern-based alerting tools
- Experience with messaging/queuing systems (Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc.) helpful
- Experience with event correlation tools a plus
Experience with Spark is a plus
Meet Some of priceline.com's Employees
Senior Director, Engineering
Imran leads a team of engineers that builds and maintains priceline.com's Packages API—powering priceline.com’s web and mobile systems for its airlines and vacation packages products.
Back to top