Cloud Infrastucture Engineer
In addition to more than two thousand servers and virtual machines, our private cloud consists of a few hundred VMWare servers, more than a petabyte or mission critical storage, and virtualized network connectivity. We also operate two backup environments, from tape robots to highly efficient virtual machine backups. We implement some systems in AWS. On top of that, we monitor our environment with Zabbix, and provide many critical infrastructure services as well.
The ideal candidate is excited and motivated about running a production grade critical infrastructure. First and foremost, this is an engineering and architecture position. On a given day, you may find yourself coding a script or program to automate a process, working with other teams to bring a critical service back from the dead, solving a stubborn problem, building out more capacity, trying out a new tool, or coming up with solutions that will make a process more efficient .
You should be excited by learning new technologies, and you are comfortable with change. You are not shy about learning from your co-workers asking questions, experimenting, and sharing your results in a busy environment. You tend to see opportunities rather than obstacles. You also tend to get excited about computer science and technology in general, and find yourself seeking out information on new technologies on your own.
- You may work on infrastructure components anywhere from bare metal up through deploying applications.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues involving multiple technologies.
- Maintain and increase a broad, working knowledge of our team’s technologies.
- Handle projects and tasks as directed.
- Participate in architecture and direction.
- Provide on-call coverage.
- Work on critical business initiatives (Big Data, Cloud, Hadoop)
- Research new technologies (Mesosphere, IaaS
- At least five years of system administration
- A Bachelors Degree is highly preferred
- Solid proficiency with Linux RHEL/CentOS
- Shell or other programming experience
- Experience in cloud technologies including IaaS, PaaS, containers a plus.
- Experience in areas such as SAN, backup, monitoring and other technologies is a plus.
- A strong working knowledge of computer science topics including networking, storage concepts, virtualization, Unix services (NFS, POP, DNS)
- Knowledge of web server technologies such as configuration of apache, tomcat or infrastructure services
- This is a 24x7 production environment. While we are mindful to have a good work/life balance, you will share on-call duty with other team members, and will be asked to occasionally take early morning or late deploys
Back to top