Senior Software Architect
Care about the facts? So do we. Since 2007, we have been committed to non-partisan journalism. We create products and deliver content of consequence; they have the power to change the course of history by making democracy better through our coverage of politics, policy, and power. As long as those intersect, there will be a need for POLITICO and our stories. That's where you come in.
POLITICO is looking for a Senior Architect, Search and Taxonomy who will be responsible for architecting search and taxonomy classification applications to build our next generation software platforms. His/her activities will span all phases of product development including requirements, architecture, design, implementation, validation, release, and maintenance.
The Senior Architect, Search and Taxonomy will create and promote taxonomy governance mechanisms to be used across all departments of Politico.
The Senior Architect will also lead the engineering work in building and maintaining various applications. In addition, will apply his/her knowledge of programming techniques and implement them in company projects while working collaboratively with inter-departmental teams on the projects.
What You'll Do:
- Articulate the vision of a search platform that powers multiple products within the Politico ecosystem
- Work with various departments to create the taxonomy, define and promote taxonomy governance, train the automated classifications system, and create mechanisms and processes to evaluate its performance
- Assist in defining technical requirements and lead the evaluation and development of new service offerings through new process development and technology evaluation and implementation
- Evaluate and articulate potential value to existing products and potential future products, technology requirements and risk factors for the platforms, infrastructure, scalability and product alignment.
- Develop prototypes, proofs of concept, work breakdown structures and technical architecture specifications required for the evaluation, understanding and implementation of new products, processes and technologies
- Provide guidance to development teams tasked with the implementation of the new features to ensure their adherence to the scope of the business rules as well as technical guidelines.
- Research, track and communicate industry trends, best practices and competitive service offerings to identify opportunities for growth, innovation, increased market share, and competitive advantage.
- Perform impact and system analysis based on business requirements
- Lead a sub-team of designers and engineers in implementing projects
- Participate in architecture review committee on a regular basis
- Collaborate with other technical architects and other engineers in the exchange and transfer of technical knowledge
- Collaborate in the development and evolution of architecture standards, guidelines, reference architecture, and the IT Technology Roadmap
- Evaluate existing architecture, propose new directions, communicate and coordinate with Managers, Architects, and other Engineers on direction and progress.
- Participate in definition, design and implementation phases of new products.
- Work with Project Managers as well as other colleagues in sizing specific tasks of active projects.
How You'll Be Successful:
- Ability to lead the work of several engineers
- Ability to identify and establish proper software frameworks to improve current as well as next generation software platforms for our company
- Accuracy of work and support of team
- Build solid and issue-free applications
- Meet established deadlines
- Identify, prioritize and follow through product issues that arise from different departments or customers
- Communicate clearly and frequently with the immediate superior, upper management as well as employees from other departments on status and priorities and solutions
- Assist more junior colleagues in their work
What You'll Need:
- Excellent knowledge of the digital media market and technologies associated to it.
- Ability to think strategically and innovatively and to turn that thinking into realistic plans and workflows
- Experience in developing complex, data intensive, and highly scalable applications.
- 15+ years of experience developing B2B/B2C, large-scale Enterprise applications, built upon multi-tier Java/J2EE, RDBMS based software systems.
- Experience in implementing taxonomies, including taxonomy governance
- Experience with search platforms: MarkLogic (or other NoSQL technologies), ElasticSearch, SOLR, Lucene, et.
- Experience with document transformation technologies, including familiarity with JSON, XML, XSL, XQuery and related standards
- Has significant hands-on experience with many programming languages, operating systems, application architectures, source code control systems, and bug tracking systems.
- Strong experience with developing highly scalable and available systems, including evaluating architectural scalability limitations, estimating availability, and delivering solutions to improve both.
- Experience evaluating, selecting and deploying third party technologies, licensed and/or open-source.
Come help us build the story. We check our comfort zones at the door each day to foster innovation, and because we believe in each other's ambitions, we come together to create something meaningful.
We value our people. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, commuter benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Let's keep in touch. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @politicocareers and #meetPOLITICO for a deep dive into what makes us POLITICOs and our adventures. We'd love to hear from you!
Meet Some of POLITICO's Employees
James manages POLITICO’s entire sales system, making it more efficient for the Sales and Audience Solutions Team. He also helps customize the user experience and add new users.
Back to top