Managing Editor, POLITICO Focus
Care about the facts? So do we. Since 2007, POLITICO has been committed to non-partisan journalism. We create products and deliver content of consequence; they have the power to change the course of history by making democracy better through our coverage of politics, policy, and power. As long as those intersect, there will be a need for POLITICO and our stories. That's where you come in.
POLITICO Focus, POLITICO's award-winning in-house Brand Studio and innovation team is looking for a Managing Editor to strategize and execute custom content solutions for our advertisers. The ideal Managing Editor will have strong editorial skills, balanced with a deep understanding of communications and advertising. You will leverage expertise on issue advocacy, CSR and reputational branding for advertisers, and demonstrate insider knowledge of the Washington, D.C. market to help craft a client's story for our readers.
The Managing Editor will work directly with clients, the brand studio members and POLITICO's business team to concept editorial solutions for clients while working with the Focus production team to create successful executions.
Who you are:
- A leader & strategic thinker: you have a clear vision and can articulate it with logic, credibility and command to achieve partnerships with clients, contributing writers and team members
- A journalist: you have the mentality of a reporter who can take an idea and craft it into a story with the best angle, and have the research skills to support it
- A policy wonk: you have a strong passion for the nexus of policy, power, and politics and connecting the dots between a client and their messaging
What you'll do:
- Concept editorial and content strategies for native advertising campaigns, merging a client's brand messaging with the needs, habits and desires of POLITICO's audience
- Dive deep into research to map out audience trends, client's current and desired messaging, and merge those into a compelling narrative
- Translate strategic and tactical elements to production team and work closely with writers and subject matter experts to execute vision across platforms including web, social media, print, email and video
- Manage the POLITICO Focus Contributor's Network
What you'll need:
- Twelve plus years of experience writing and strategically directing content, with at least 2 years of experience in journalism or in a newsroom
- Experience in crafting and conveying messaging to the public for a brand in a strategic communications or public affairs role
- Knowledge of AP Style & excellent writing skills
- The ability to pivot quickly and think on your feet within the evolution of a campaign
Come help us build the story. We check our comfort zones at the door each day to foster innovation, and because we believe in each other's ambitions, we come together to create something meaningful.
We value our people. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, commuter benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Let's keep in touch. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @politicocareers and #meetPOLITICO for a deep dive into what makes us POLITICOs and our adventures. We'd love to hear from you!
Meet Some of POLITICO's Employees
James manages POLITICO’s entire sales system, making it more efficient for the Sales and Audience Solutions Team. He also helps customize the user experience and add new users.
Back to top