Systems Administrator (Amsterdam)
The System Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, vendors, and partners.
The candidate must posess strong communication skills, an ability to drive multiple projects concurrently, an understanding of how to prioritize work queues, and experience in working with software development teams.
The ideal candidate will work across all aspects of Polaris’ IT Department, and have not only administration responsibilities for the Amsterdam office (40+ employees), but also over assist in the operation of Polaris’ Global Delivery Network. The individual will manage in-house and cloud infrastructure, ensure projects are delivered on time, and assist end users on day to day support requests.
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, independent, sense of ownership and urgency.
- Participate in 24/7 emergency call rotation.
- Manage vendor relations and perform equipment purchases.
- Assist on system deployment projects and interact with internal and external teams and customers.
- Basic Project management skills and Network design diagram skills.
- Participate on IT meetings and provide status updates.
- Work with various departments and user levels on projects, or requests during different time zones.
- Maintain the inventory of equipment, and security accounts.
- Communicate and translate to end users’ IT initiatives and notifications.
- Create SOP’s and training materials for end users.
- Open to new technology and pilot testing.
- Experience with IaaS managing Public & Private Clouds, and Virtualization environments.
- Configure and manage Windows Server 2008, 2012/ PowerShell/ Auditing/Automated Tasks.
- Active Directory Trust and Replication/GPO/Public & Private DNS /SMTP/SFTP/ DHCP/ Hyper-V.
- IIS6,7,8/Setting up Sites and App Pools/URL Rewrites/HTTP Redirect.
- SQL 2008, 2012 installation/setup/troubleshooting.
- Server Certificates/ CSRs/ Renewals/ Troubleshooting/Private & Public keys.
- Qualys SSL and Vulnerability Scans/Security best practices/port scanning/ patching.
- Firewall Rules/TCP Ports/NAT/Site to Site VPN/SonicWall/Spam Filters/Load balancers.
- Network IPv4 & IPv6 stack/Network Subnet/IP Schema.
- Microsoft Exchange 2010/Office 365/Skype/Webex management and troubleshooting.
- Disaster Recovery/ Asigra/ Imaging/ shadow copy/backup retention policies/ SQL T-logs backup.
- Network Monitoring and server health tools such as Zabbix/New Relic/Dotcom Alerts or equivalent.
- WSUS server scheduling/approvals and maintenance.
- Equipment Inventory/Tracking.
- Dell laptops configuration/Windows 10/Imaging/Bit-Locker/troubleshooting.
- Experience with Zendesk or other ticketing system.
- Security Control Access / Video surveillance systems.
A plus but not mandatory:
- AWS EC2 and S3 deployment and management.
- Linux Red Hat setup and management.
- Oracle 11g installation and management.
Physical and Location Requirements
- Ability to work in the office on a regular basis (core Polaris office hours are 9 am to 6 pm, Monday through Friday in the Amsterdam office)
We offer you a career
While we will offer you a specific role (your starting role will be determined based on your experience), it is our goal to offer you a career. With our strong focus on personal development, we want to help you continue to grow as a professional as well as within our organization. Our model comprises of six roles: analyst, consultant, senior consultant, project manager, director, and partner. It is our goal to help you progress through these steps.
In addition, we strongly believe that being part of a small and growing team provides a great degree of freedom and independence that will result in an enjoyable and unparalleled learning experience.
Specifically we offer:
- Very attractive salary and benefits (competitive within the consulting industry)
- An open company culture – not hierarchical
- An attractive job location, working from our headquarters in Amsterdam on the Zuidas
- The opportunity to temporarily work from our headquarters in New York as part of our secondment program
- The opportunity to work in a growing start-up environment – with plenty of room for ingenuity
- A career management program tailored to your development needs
- The opportunity to learn from experienced colleagues with backgrounds in consulting and IT, who have worked for companies such as McKinsey, BCG and Accenture
- The possibility to specialize in the fields of consulting, IT, and Life Sciences
- *Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer**
Meet Some of Polaris's Employees
Recruiting & Office Coordinator
Vanessa liaises between Polaris’ Human Resources and Office Management Teams. She incorporates innovative methodologies and practices that attract and retain the best IT talent from around the globe.
Back to top