Lead Concept Artist
Episode is a mobile animated interactive storytelling network and marketplace created by Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment and games company. Episode empowers storytellers to create mobile-first stories, aiming to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, readers have read over 2 billion episodes and over 4 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year and Demi Lovato: Path to Fame.
The Lead Concept Artist helps drive the vision of Episode’s art style and the design of the story worlds within. They work with both the internal and external development teams to create a unified vision and process. The concept lead will have demonstrable skills that show their commitment to developing visually compelling stories through visual style guides, concept art and design sketches. In addition to design and concept skills, they will be able to work with 3D scenes in Maya, be a clear communicator and a motivational team mentor and leader.
What you will be doing:
- Work with the team leads to guide internal and external art teams on style and visual direction
- Create project-specific style guides
- Help develop art pipelines for a storytelling platform
- Create concept art, especially for fashion and interior/architectural design
- Work with the internal art team, internal story team and external vendors
- Track and provide clear, visual feedback on assets from initial planning stages to final assets
- Schedule and prioritize cross-project art dependencies
- Balance deadlines and resources with style and quality requirements
- Identify potential problems in the art pipeline and work with team leads to solve them
- Create clear documentation, guides and templates
- Work with the art team to ensure assets can be built in game
- Help Identify team staffing needs
- Mentor artists
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- 2D Concept Art & Visual Design Skills
- Solid fundamentals: Composition, Light and Color, Anatomy and Perspective
- Keen eye for design; a love for fashion and interior design is mandatory!
- Excellent sense of pattern, texture and color; especially as they relate to the world of design
- Excellent sense of visual storytelling: cinematic art, emotion and drama
- Strong understanding of color and light
- Storyboarding skills a plus!
- 3D Art Skills
- Familiar with basic modeling and texturing
- Hair, cloth folds
- Familiar with Set Design and Lighting
- Shotgun is a plus!
- Team Leadership
- Be a team motivator and problem solver
- Define and encourage best practices
- Ability to deliver clear visual review feedback
- Clear communication with multidisciplinary Episode teams
- Must have a minimum 7 years of experience as an artist
- 3 years as an art lead
- Must have experience working on a professional project with strong narrative elements
- Console or PC game development is a must
- TV or film production work is a plus
- Experience working with modular 3D assets is a big plus!
- Must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in art, film, game design or a closely related field
Nice to Have:
- Interest in romance and drama genres
- Interest in unique, personality-driven characters and environments
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including a Premiere PPO health plan. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top