Episode is a mobile animated interactive storytelling network and marketplace created by Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment and games company. Episode empowers storytellers to create mobile-first stories, aiming to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, readers have read over 2 billion episodes and over 4 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year and Demi Lovato: Path to Fame.
The Lead Animator helps drive the vision of Episode’s animation style. They work with both internal and external development teams to create a unified vision and process. The lead will have demonstrable skills that show their commitment to telling stories through the craft of both 2d and 3d animation. They will also be a motivational team mentor and leader.
- Guide internal and external animation team on style and direction
- Develop a clear vision on the animation aesthetic
- Develop a clear process for delivering animation assets on schedule
- Work with the internal art team and communicate the style and processes to external vendors
- Track and provide clear, visual feedback on assets from initial planning stages to final assets
- Identify team staffing needs.
- Mentor junior animators
- Schedule and prioritize cross project animation dependencies
- Balance deadlines and resources with style and quality requirements
- Identify potential problems in the animation pipeline and work with the Episode leads to solve them
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- 3D Animation Skills
- 2D animation background preferable
- Facial and performance animation
- Strong fundamentals
- Weight / Timing
- Experience animating hair and clothing
- Strong storytelling skills
- Storyboarding skills a plus
- Knowledge of character rigging a plus
- Experience with customizable characters a plus
- Spine (2D animation) a plus
- Be a team motivator and problem solver
- Ability to deliver clear visual review feedback
- Clear communication with multidisciplinary Episode teams
- Minimum 7 years of experience as an animator
- 5 years as an animation lead
- television industry experience a plus
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including a Premiere PPO health plan. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top