Manager, Contract Manufacturing
This role will act as the primary point of contact for Plum to deliver external manufacturing solutions through the Contract Manufacturing Lifecycle process. This includes developing a broad understanding of specific manufacturing capabilities needed and identifying potential vendor partners to fulfill those needs. Develop a comparative assessment of vendors with similar capabilities to determine “best fit” solutions. Build professional relationships with leadership representatives of existing/prospective suppliers to deliver a quality agreement that meets Plum contract manufacturing standards and company objectives. This individual will have direct responsibility for multiple (5 to 10) co-manufacturing relationships.
- 30% - Responsible for building and managing a network of contract manufacturers for a wide range of products to ensure capability and capacity are available to meet the business needs. Coordination with Marketing, R&D, QA, Packaging, Procurement, Finance and the greater Supply Chain Organization representatives to ensure readiness for future product packaging initiatives.
- 20% - Responsible for negotiating contracts and work with the Legal Department to develop contract structure and strategy. Also, ensure that current co-packers adhere to all contractual obligations and that the vital business interests of Plum are protected and met.
- 20% - Responsible for helping to implement cost containment initiatives, identifying savings opportunities and driving least landed costs for externally produced products. Responsibilities include competitive bidding of products, productivity programs, leveraging Plum purchasing power, manufacturing and operational optimization, developing long term co-packer partnerships (supplier development) and co-packer consolidation
- 20% - Assist in establishing, monitoring and meeting targeted goals for customer service. Responsible for the performance evaluation of Contract Manufacturers. Ensure adherence to contractual obligations such as on time production and shipment, meeting quality expectations, flexibility, implementation of new systems etc. Assist with the coordination of all internal and external activities required to resolve any deficiencies. Relocate production if deficiencies are not corrected accordingly.
- 10% - Responsible for helping to develop and adhere to a manufacturing budget for externally produced products at assigned co-packers. Periodically assist and review reasonableness of pricing structures via competitive bidding, document detailed product costing and develop the key components of costs for labor and overhead.
- Manage all phases of the Contract Manufacturing Lifecycle. Including the selection, qualification and management of Contract Manufacturers.
- Understand all BOM cost components per SKU: delivered costs of raw material and packaging, container and handling requirements by plant, raw material and packaging supplier capabilities and locations.
- Assist with the development of annual and long term strategic plans: capacity analysis, business continuity, and maintain flat total delivered cost for co-packed SKUs
- Manage a wide variety of situations from a number of different internal and external disciplines: Legal, Procurement, Quality Assurance, Process Safety, Plant Engineering, Product Development, Packaging Engineering, Brand Marketing, Planning, and Deployment.
- Provide run out analysis for delisted or changing SKU's to minimize finished good and component obsolescence.
- BA in Business or BS in Business, Finance or Engineering or equivalent experience. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience, preferably in Supply Chain, including 2-3 years of contract manufacturing.
- Strong negotiation ability. Comfortable dealing and negotiating with senior level positions such as Presidents of Companies.
- Able to read and comprehend legal documents (i.e. contracts) and identify areas and causes of concern.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) and ability to work in a matrix organization. Able to seek out and leverage internal (Legal, Product Development, QA) and external (supply base network, consultants, equipment manufacturers) to help resolve issues.
- Able to create order out of large quantities of information, define the situation effectively, develop plans, determine resource requirements, take action, and drive forward to successful conclusion.
- Able to build and foster teams, gain commitment from others over whom he/she has no direct authority, and effectively manage the decision making process.
- Requires brand product knowledge and knowledge of food manufacturing processes and unit operations, planning and logistics, engineering of systems and layouts, QA systems/microbiology and statistics, financial reporting and analysis.
- Creative problem solving and innovative approaches to complex problems.
- Microsoft Office skills, such as excel, word, and PowerPoint. MRP concepts, MPS, and BOM's.
- Firm commitment to understanding the Total Delivered Costs and Optimization of all co-packed products.
Normal office environment with approximately 30% travel, which may be on short notice.
- A Creative Problem Solver – You have a creative bent and you love taking on challenges with a fresh perspective and creative mind.
- An Action Oriented Doer – Someone who is driven by results. Someone who strongly believes in accountability. A task oriented self-starter who stays calm under pressure and proactively takes on big ideas and projects.
- Hands On – Someone humble enough to tackle low level mundane tasks some days and then drive high-level strategic discussions the next. Someone who is hungry to learn and take on more responsibility as the company grows.
- A Collaborator – One who works well with teams, and can listen while still sharing a strong point of view.
Who we are – Plum Inc. – Emeryville, California
Plum Inc. is home to Plum Organics, a values-driven company committed to nourishing the next generation with great tasting, nutritious food from high chair to lunchbox. Plum Inc. is a group of extremely passionate people that truly love what they do and why they do it. They are parents, aunts, uncles, big brothers… tooth fairies. They are curious connoisseurs and joy seeking foodies that have come together to discover, celebrate & create all things healthy, inventive & yum
Plum, PBC is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Meet Some of Plum Organics's Employees
Gina researches dynamic flavor combos and creates tasty, nutritious products that align with Plum Organics’ healthy food philosophy and inspire adventurous appetites.
Back to top