Lead Field Service Technician
- Flexible / Remote
Lead Field Service Technician
Status: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Department: Field Service
The Lead Field Service Technician is responsible for the daily activities at a customer site, including but not limited to scheduling, delegating tasks, maintaining 5S standards, inventory, and maintenance of units. The Lead Technician will be the point of contact for training new hires and sets the standard for professionalism at the customer site. This individual will continue to support our fuel cell products currently installed in electric lift trucks, including performing preventative maintenance and resolving breakdowns. This person will maintain consistent communication with their respective Regional Service Manager to provide updates on the customers, technicians, and any issues at the site. This position presents a great amount of exposure to customer personnel and electric lift truck operators, and thus requires a person with excellent technical skills as well as communication, independent judgment and motivational skills. The Lead Technician should be a role model for professionalism and should exhibit a positive attitude at all times thus building the morale of the site.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead point of contact for the assigned customer site, maintaining ownership for performance of the site, ensuring up-time and overall success.
- Check-in daily with the customer to ensure that their units are operating efficiently.
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of Plug Power products and procedures
- Maintain effective communication with the customer, informing them of any issues, including but not limited to waiting for parts and engineering issues.
- Maintain schedules for all technicians at the site to ensure adequate coverage and satisfactory customer service by scheduling.
- Provide proactive updates to Regional Service Manager, coordinating assistance if additional help in the region is needed, such as additional staffing resources, personnel concerns, and additional training resources.
- Track all open work orders for the site, elevating thematic issues to the leadership
- Maintain appropriate levels of spare equipment to ensure availability to the customer
- Build effective internal relationships with technicians at the site and across the region.
- Ensure that the Plug Power work area at the customer site is kept neat, organized, and compliant with 5S standards.
- Apply customer-specific policies and procedures by setting the example for the team at the site and ensuring that all other technicians adhere to such policies and procedures.
- Mentor technicians at the site, including training on site specific policies as well as being a dedicated resource for technical guidance and support.
- Assist Technicians onsite with step pay related learnings and on the job training (OJT).
- Maintain appropriate levels of parts inventory on-site, ordering tools, equipment and parts as needed to ensure appropriate level of supplies.
- Coordinate inventory audits weekly by assigning a technician to be in charge.
- Properly diagnose, troubleshoot and repair units and hydrogen infrastructure.
- Manage Preventative Maintenance schedule on a weekly basis to ensure the units and hydrogen system are maintained.
- Perform specialized service procedures, including but not limited to field retrofits, software and hardware upgrades to existing fuel cells and hydrogen system.
- Provide on-call and emergency support service to customers as required.
- Complete administrative duties & documentation, including: incident reports, service logs, inventory maintenance and site and system documentation.
- Champion for overseeing safety compliance including but not limited to safety manual, SDS, gantry inspection and other tooling certifications/inspections.
- Represent Plug Power in a professional manner at all times and in all interactions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent with technical electrical coursework.
- Four (4) or more years of direct experience in mechanical and electrical troubleshooting.
- Formal training and education may be also considered in lieu of direct experience.
- Prior experience as a Lead Technician is preferred.
- Exceptional organization skills; experience with 5S is preferred.
- Knowledge of lift truck operation and applications is highly preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver license, a clean driving record, and the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds on regular basis unassisted.
- Travel as required for business needs; expected to drive safely and to adhere to traffic laws.
- Computer and software systems skills as applicable to position including but not limited to: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences and stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; superior customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and uncompromising dedication to quality.
- Exceptional time management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Technician must provide own standard set of tools – specific fuel cell tools to be provided by Plug power.
Plug Power, Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top