Senior Software Engineer, Platform
- South San Francisco, CA
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet. The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that.
Plenty is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Platform team. In this role, you will architect, implement and maintain sophisticated backend systems and infrastructure for operating Plenty’s farms. As a foundational member of the Platform team, which builds and manages critical software and data systems used across the organization, you will contribute to the advanced automation in Plenty's production lines, while also amplifying the impacts of Application Engineers, Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, and Production Engineers across multiple organizations. You will work in a highly collaborative environment, partnering closely with fellow engineers, product managers and project managers across the Plenty team.
Type of Role
What You'll Do
- Design and implement back-end components for the FarmOS Execution System
- Identify opportunities where production data can be highly leveraged to improve production yields, efficiencies, and quality
- Utilize Object-oriented design, domain driven design and analysis skills to design and implement back-end software
- Maintain a rigorous standard for deploying clean, tested code in a highly collaborative environment with rapid iteration
- Create tooling, automation, and documentation to facilitate others in deploying, operating, and extending your code
- Design and implement a highly performant distributed system to orchestrate operations in the farm with an emphasis on performance, resiliency and scalability
- Manage and maintain evolving data systems for automation equipment logs and logic
- Support, guide, and collaborate with the data community within the company
- Drive cross-functional projects from requirements gathering to production deployment
What We're Looking For
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field
- 5+ years of server-side software engineering experience
- Deep experience writing back-end components using Java
- Proficiency with Git
- Experience managing configuration in a public cloud (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Experience with CI/CD workflows and tools
- Strong background in system architectures, high-performance computing, and distributed systems
- Experience with data modeling and database systems such as Postgres, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, and Cassandra
- Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Kafka/Kinesis, Akka, Apache Beam, and Athena
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
Back to top