Senior Scientist, Controlled Environment Agriculture
- South San Francisco, CA
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
About the role
We are in the early stages of a rapid-growth phase for new product development. Success in this area is critical to the advancement of Plenty’s mission to bring exciting, delicious, low-cost produce to people around the world. As Senior Scientist, Controlled Environment Agriculture, you will be responsible for coordinating detailed, cross-functional work, and steering new production designs and methods for Plenty products from the concept stage to market.
Type of Role
What you’ll do
- Solve CEA production problems with applied knowledge of plant nutrition and fluid systems by working in cross-functional groups to establish design requirements for large scale fluids systems.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to design and test nutrient delivery systems and filtration apparatuses for a diversity of crop species.
- Collaborate with plant science to develop crop specific nutrition programs to optimize for plant health, yield, and quality.
- Work in cross-functional groups to establish design requirements for large scale fluids systems.
- Be the plant nutrition expert who engages with engineering teams and provides design guidance based on knowledge of potential design impacts on plant health and production.
- Utilize environmental sensing systems to improve understanding of the plant experience and define key indicators that improve efficiency in nutrient delivery and uptake.
- Test integrated systems equipment to determine process impacts on yield.
- Conduct analyses of fluids distribution in relation to chemical characteristics to identify areas of continuous design improvement.
- Compile and analyze plant tissue analyses to establish environment and crop specific nutrient thresholds based on life stage.
- Assist in the establishment of new crop best management practices.
- Assist in establishing new crop production systems in current and future farms.
- Analyze trial results and provide feedback to leadership to inform decisions that direct the development process and critical path to product launch.
What We’re Looking For
- PhD in AgEngineering, Plant Sciences, Horticulture, Agronomy, or related field with a focus on plant nutrition
- Minimum 3+ years’ production, operational management and industry experience in agriculture or horticulture
- Minimum 2+ years’ experience in controlled environment agriculture research
- Experience optimizing plant nutrition for a diversity of crop species, leafy green preferred
- Experience formulating hydroponic nutrient solutions
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively amongst peers and across business units
- Adaptability to a fast-paced environment and evolving/new goals
- Ability to analyze data, synthesize results from multiple sources, and make concise recommendations
- Ability to cope with uncertainty and the potential requirement to make decisions with incomplete information
- Strong passion for working with produce and experience with balancing a broad set of scientific disciplines
- Proven ability to be a high output individual
- Continued desire to learn
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
Back to top