Systems Application Engineer
Job TitleSystems Application Engineer
Our Opportunity to you:
This opportunity is ideal for high-energy, high-talent individuals seeking to apply their technical expertise to the design and deployment of word-class lighting installations. The System Engineer relies upon his/her strong engineering background as well as their creativity to develop and implement viable solutions for customer projects. For candidates wishing to consider long-term growth with the company, this role provides exposure to multiple disciplines in the course of a day's work and opportunities exist to grow into roles which include R&D, Project Management, and Product Management in addition to growth and advancement within the System Engineering role itself.
From world renowned landmarks and iconic structures to state of the art indoor spaces, the North America System Center designs, proposes, and executes lighting system installations of high-value and/or high complexity in our region. As part of the System Center, our System Engineering team ensures proposed solutions are technically sound and works throughout the project cycle to ensure all system components interoperate as required by our customers. This role relies heavily on collaboration with Project Management, Sales Operations, Customer Service, Engineering, and Product Marketing. This is a critical customer/partner facing role.
As a Systems Engineer, you will participate in customer projects through all phases from proposal through completion. You will be involved in project planning, design, and execution, for high-value/high-complexity projects and ensure the delivered system meets the customer's specifications. Approximately 25% of your time will be spent on customer sites where you will represent Philips Lighting as the technical authority on our products.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Review/ verify system design, schematics, and drawings
- Iterate system designs to match cost to budget
- Build mock-ups to test interoperability between Philips and third-party devices
- Provide technical expertise in sales presentations product demonstrations
- Perform factory start up at customer locations
- Train end-users and develop O&M materials as part of project handover
- Work with all Stakeholders in the creation of proposals and quotations
- Develop internal tools and ways of working for use on customer projects
- Participate in troubleshooting and advise on corrective action for projects in the post-handover phase
As a Systems Engineer you will be challenged with leveraging systems knowledge and overall technical aptitude in the engineering of integrated lighting systems projects. You must be comfortable and derive satisfaction from the challenges of combining the Company's products and technical capabilities to the customer base to deliver significant end results. We have a fast paced work environment that will require strong organizational skills. You will additionally need to take ownership of other challenges as they present themselves and follow the process from start to finish making sure proper support is provided to the customer. This role requires that you employ a very client-centric, methodical approach to driving the solutions. A high degree of creativity and latitude is expected. The successful candidate will have a "can do" attitude that is coupled with the presence necessary to instill confidence both internally and externally. A considerable amount of judgment, problem solving, and the ability to communicate issues and solutions quickly is required.
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering or similar technical discipline (Robotics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related specialty preferred) from an accredited college or university
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience within this Networking, Electronics or Software Development
- Background in Computer Science and/or Networking experience is required
- Prior experience in Lighting and/or Construction industry highly desirable;
- Excellent technical troubleshooting skills
- Proficiency with field and laboratory test equipment (e.g. oscilloscope, DMM, thermal monitoring, etc.)
- Working knowledge of DMX, DALI, BacNet, Art-Net, TCP-IP or similar communication protocols
- Proficient with Python, C++, or other high level programming languages
- Ability to demonstrate excellent organization and communication skills with to successfully build and maintain relationships with customers, designers, and engineers
- Ability to work well under pressure and defuse volatile situations
- Ability to obtain security clearance due to customer/project requirements, when needed
- Experience interpreting architectural/electrical drawings; CAD skills are a plus
- Lighting applications and technologies experience along with technical understanding of lighting products is a plus
- Recent graduates of high aptitude welcome to apply and be considered for a junior role
- Must be willing to travel 25% and able to work off hours when necessary
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status. #LI-TB1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top