Software QA Engineer (Sr Level)
Job TitleSoftware QA Engineer (Sr Level)
Our Opportunity for you:
As a Senior Software QA Engineer, you will play a key role in a rapidly growing business enabling partnership extensions for the Philips HUE personal wireless lighting system. These partnerships will be with World's leading Internet-of-Things (IoT) players & start-ups and have a focus on customer satisfaction around overall system quality.
Philips HUE has revolutionized the lighting industry by bringing lighting to our digital world and it enables consumers to experience lighting in a way they have never experienced before. This is a unique opportunity for you to become part of an innovative team that will completely shape the future of lighting as we know of today by defining how intelligent lighting will take its place in smart homes of tomorrow. You will have the exciting opportunity to follow & shape the latest digital trends in the world as well as play a key role in connecting Philips Lighting to the booming Internet-of-Things ecosystem in the US.
Integration & Verification (I&V) Partnership team of Philips Hue is a dedicated test engineering team that approaches software from a different angle. We are QA engineers whose goal is to challenge all assumptions and identify places where the software will break. We do this by having a deep knowledge of how the software is built and how the system is laid out, where the holes are and most importantly, what matters most to our customers. What you test will be used by millions of Hue customers.
I&V Partnership team is part of the R&D Home Systems US organization of Philips Lighting located right in the heart of Silicon Valley. I&V Partnership team works very closely with Software Application Engineers, Project Leaders and Business Development Managers. While your primary location will be in Palo Alto, CA, you will be interacting daily with other engineers & experts from the Philips HUE development teams located in Europe and other global locations.
We're looking for a Senior Software QA Engineer who is passionate about delivering quality products to our consumers and enriching their user experience.
You will work closely with internal & external product development teams, business development managers and product managers to help release new functionality and new IoT 3rd party integrations to our consumers. You will also continuously develop automation test strategies to ensure that the software meets the highest standards of quality before going out to production but also to ensure that the quality is maintained once the software or the 3rd party software integration is live in the field.
The Senior QA Engineer for the job will not only bring her/his experience to the team but will also be expected to continuously explore new and interesting ways to improve our efficiency and test coverage.
Detailed responsibilities include;
- Play a major role in improving quality, functionality, reliability and usability of software products and 3rd party software integrations
- Analyze business requirements to develop and execute comprehensive test plans with systematic QA methodology
- Coach other Software QA and Test Engineers in creating and executing test plans and test cases
- Interact with product development team(s) to evaluate system interfaces, operational and performance requirements of the overall system
- Execute tests & analyze test results to assure quality of existing and new functionalities
- Recommend design improvements or corrections to engineers throughout the development process
- Evaluate quality risk for product changes and propose test strategy to address risks
- Help design of automation roadmap and improvement of testing processes for unit, component and integration level automation testing
- Creating and expanding automated regression tests
- Participate in continuous improvement of testing process and procedures by analyzing reported bugs and then assessing test coverage and project execution around these areas as well as by analyzing the current processes and practices
- Be a champion of TDD and BDD in the scrum team
- Evangelize software QA best practices and influence architecture and design decisions
- Capture & document gathered experiences and best practices into processes & procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The HUE ecosystem is extremely diverse, touching a broad range of technologies (from the smallest embedded processors to public clouds and smartphones) which are moving fast in line with consumer electronics trends. As a result of this, you will be challenged to stay current with multiple new technologies & concepts while continuously learning & developing yourself in order to keep our product cutting edge.
Additionally, Philips Hue consumer install base and 3rd party integration ecosystem is growing at a rapid pace as smart home adaptation is taking off. You will be constantly challenged to think one step ahead about scalability and prioritization of activities in order to be able to catch up with the business pace.
Finally, you will also be challenged to play a key role in growing a relatively new innovation lab in the heart of Silicon Valley literally building up almost everything from scratch together with rest of the team. You will need to reach out to colleagues all around to world, work across multiple time zones and make things happen taking personal initiatives.
- Bachelor's (B.S.) Degree in Computer Science or similar technical field; Master's (MSc) Degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in Software Quality Assurance
- 5-7 years of professional experience writing code for testing
- Experience with java, Node.js.
- Familiar with Test management tools such as qTest, TestRail, TestLink, Zephyr.
- Experience with requirements management and traceability processes
- Automation experience at Systems, API and UI level
- Experience with Selenium, or similar tools.
- Experience in a TDD environment
- Experience with Jenkins and Docker a plus.
- Knowledge of continuous integration
- Enter and track software defects in a defect tracking system (Jira).
- Experience with Scrum or other agile methodologies
- Ability to accurately process detail-oriented work
- Ability to coach others
- Effective negotiation & stakeholder management skills
- Results oriented and has a high degree of accountability, commitment and responsibility
- Strong customer orientation and good communication skills with ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary multi-site team
- Flexibility in working across challenging time zones, especially with Europe (+9 hours)
- Able to work in a dynamic environment with changing requirements, time & budget constraints
- Takes initiative to identify & report problems and to drive continuous improvement
- Good level of English language skills, both spoken and written
- Passion for Mobile Applications & latest technology trends
- Be eager to invest in personal and team growth on a daily basis
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status. #LI-FM1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Sales Manager Public & Sports
Cor leads his team through the commercial landscape. He oversees product development, identifies new market opportunities, and determines optimal consumer potentials for the company.
Back to top