Software Engineer - IoT Developer Experience – APIs & SDKs(Principal Level)
Job TitleSoftware Engineer - IoT Developer Experience – APIs & SDKs(Principal Level)
Our Opportunity for you
Philips Lighting is poised to be one of the top global players in the Internet of Things (IoT) space. The company, already a top-class technology multi-national, is rapidly transforming from global leader of LED Lighting to the leader of connected and digital lighting. We are transforming lighting solutions into new concepts that connect people, places, and devices in a whole new way.
We are the leading provider of lighting systems, services, and applications both for professional and consumer markets. Our products and systems are built for world-class light quality, energy management, information management, lighting experience, safety and value creation for homes, cities, offices, industry buildings, retail chains, hotels etc.
We are currently building a world-class IoT Platform. Our aim is to provide the industrial-grade common infrastructure to support the rapid and efficient creation and operation of high value-added products, systems, and services by all Philips Lighting businesses. The Developer Experience team creates the APIs, SDKs, Developer Portal, processes, and infrastructure to support the vibrant Philips Lighting IoT developer ecosystem. It is through the Developer Experience that the value of the Philips Lighting IoT platform is delivered to our customers and partners.
If you are a talented and driven individual looking for an opportunity to work in the cutting-edge of the IoT industry, become part of a high-energy, high-talent team located in the Greater Boston area, and make a strong impact on the transformation of a global leading company and the industry, we want to talk to you about joining our team!
You will be a senior member of the IoT Developer Experience team, Philips Lighting. Together with architects and other senior R&D staff, you are part of the IoT Developer Experience technical leadership team. You are the owner of the areas of your responsibility, but you are also participating in the overall technical decision-making process.
- Responsible for software architecture, design, and implementation of software components, APIs and SDKs in the IoT Developer Experience team.
- Design, implement, and document high-quality Cloud and On-premise server RESTful APIs and SDKs to expose Philips Lighting IoT services and data to developers.
- Work closely with architects and technical product managers to translate overall system architecture and product requirements into well-designed and implemented software components, RESTful APIs, and SDKs for developers.
- Ensure code quality, test-driven development adherence, and good code documentation by the IoT Developer Experience scrum teams.
- Leading the adoption of best-in-class software engineering practices, frameworks, and tools. You are providing guidance and feedback to other software developers.
- Work closely with the rest of the IoT platform engineers to ensure the Developer Experience team is using the right test automation, continuous integration and deployment frameworks and practices. According to our test-driven development practices and DevOps model, test automation, high quality, and deployment automation is the responsibility of every member of the IoT platform team. We always strive to deliver consistently world-class quality products.
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or related Engineering is required, a Masters degree is desirable
- 12+ years of proven, hands-on track-record as a software developer in cloud-based and large-scale enterprise software products
- 6+ years of experience working in teams applying modern agile software development practices
- Must have a proven track record in designing, implementing and documenting RESTful APIs and SDKs for developers, as well as highly-scalable and available backend service solutions
- Excellent expertise in object oriented programming (Java is required) and one or more of Golang, Python, Scala, and Shell scripting.
- Proven track-record in software architecture, design, implementation in a developer leadership role
- Significant expertise in Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies is required (at least 3 years). Experience in other cloud technologies (Google Cloud and MS Azure) is a plus
- Extended experience in deployment automation and related tooling (Terraform and/or similar)
- Extended experience in Test Automation frameworks and Test-Driven Development practices
- Experience in cloud-based NoSQL stores (e.g. DynamoDB, MongoDB, HBase, Cassandra, etc) and RDBMS
- Experience in Big Data technologies (e.g. Storm, Spark, Hive, Kafka, Flume, etc.) is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and ability to interact with multiple teams.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status. #LI-FM1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Sales Manager Public & Sports
Cor leads his team through the commercial landscape. He oversees product development, identifies new market opportunities, and determines optimal consumer potentials for the company.
Back to top