Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Job TitleSoftware Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Our Opportunity for you:
As a Software Development Engineer in Test, you will play a key role in a rapidly growing business enabling partnership extensions for the Philips HUE personal wireless lighting system. These partnerships will be with World's leading Internet-of-Things (IoT) players & start-ups and have a focus on customer satisfaction around overall system quality.
Philips HUE has revolutionized the lighting industry by bringing lighting to our digital world and enables consumers to experience lighting in a way they have never experienced before. This is a unique opportunity for you to become part of an innovative team that will completely shape the future of lighting as we know of today by defining how intelligent lighting will take its place in smart homes of tomorrow. You will have the exciting opportunity to follow & shape the latest digital trends in the world as well as play a key role in connecting Philips Lighting to the booming Internet-of-Things ecosystem in the US.
Integration & Verification (I&V) Partnership team of Philips Hue is a dedicated test engineering team that approaches software from a different angle. We are QA engineers whose goal it is to challenge all assumptions and identify places where the software will break. We do this by having a deep knowledge of how the software is built and how the system is laid out, where the holes are and most importantly, what matters most to our customers. What you test will be used by millions of Hue customers.
I&V Partnership team is part of the R&D Home Systems US organization of Philips Lighting located right in the heart of Silicon Valley. I&V Partnership team works very closely with Software Application Engineers, Project Leaders and Business Development Managers. While your primary location will be in Palo Alto, CA, you will be interacting daily with other engineers & experts from the Philips HUE development teams located in Europe and other global locations.
We're looking for Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) who can quickly understand the architecture of Hue System and automate the testing of Hue System with partners' integrations within the IoT eco system by building a robust automation test infrastructure leveraging agile principles with an objective of continuous delivery.
Detailed responsibilities include;
- Designing and developing automation frameworks to support integrations of Hue System with partners.
- Gap analysis of current state of automation frameworks across different automated implementations and strategizing future state of automation framework with a roadmap.
- Writing automated tests and test harnesses application and services under test.
- Writing and reviewing test strategies, test plans and test cases based on the agile stories and/or product requirements.
- Interact and collaborate directly with software developers, product managers, and business development managers to ensure proper development and quality of Hue system integration with Partners.
- Interact with other SDETs, QA members and Hue system technical leaders, located all around the world, to understand systems and component specifications and recommend changes to facilitate efficient and effective testing.
- Evangelize software automation testing best practices and influence architecture and design decisions.
- Pro-actively seek continuous improvements by analyzing the current processes and practices and suggests/drives improvements
- Capture & document gathered experiences and best practices into processes & procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The HUE ecosystem is extremely diverse, touching a broad range of technologies (from the smallest embedded processors to public clouds and smartphones) which are moving fast in line with consumer electronics trends. Because of this you will be challenged to stay current with multiple new technologies & concepts while continuously learning & developing yourself in order to keep our product cutting edge.
Philips Hue consumer install base and 3rd party integration ecosystem is growing at a rapid pace as smart home adaptation is taking off. You will be constantly challenged to think one step ahead about scalability and prioritization of activities in order to be able to catch up with the business pace.
You will also be challenged to play a key role in growing a relatively new innovation lab in the heart of Silicon Valley literally building up almost everything from scratch together with rest of the team. You will need to reach out to colleagues all around to world, work across multiple time zones and make things happen taking personal initiatives.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, MIS, or equivalent preferred
- 8+ years of experience as a software developer or SDET.
- Strong Experience and hands-on Test Management tools such as qTest, TestRail, TestLink, Zephyr.
- Experience in Selenium web driver, Selenium Grid and Cucumber.
- Strong Experience developing high quality automation frameworks.
- Strong Experience in BDD, TDD, Data driven and Hybrid automation frameworks.
- Strong Experience to programmatically test the product; measure test coverage; develop the best automation, profiling, and performance/load testing tools; and drive testability and diagnostic ability into the product.
- Experience working in distributed SOA environments including REST services
- Experience with automated build and web deployment tools
- Strong experience working with SDLC frameworks like: SCRUM, Kanban, Agile, SAFe
- Experience in querying complex schemas and relational databases.
- Experience working in a within a DevOps model and continuous delivery model
- Experience with engineering environment tools such as JIRA, GIT/GitLab, Jenkins, Eclipse, Maven.
- Experience with at least one highly available data store (SQL, Hadoop, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience with STAF/STAX test framework is a plus
- Experience with JS/CSS 3/HTML5 is a plus
- Experience using Public Cloud (Azure/AWS) is a plus
- Experienced in Agile way of working
- Results oriented and has a high degree of accountability, commitment and responsibility
- Good communication skills and able to work as part of an interdisciplinary multi-site team
- Flexibility in working across challenging time zones, especially with Europe (+9 hours)
- Able to work in a dynamic environment with changing requirements, time & budget constraints
- Takes initiative to identify & report problems and to drive continuous improvement
- Good level of English language skills, both spoken and written
- Passion for Mobile Applications technology, latest news and innovations in that area
- Be eager to invest in personal and team growth on a daily basis
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status. #LI-FM1
Alternate key word search:
- Test Automation Developer
- Automation Test Engineer
- Software Quality Assurance
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top