R&D Manager (R&D Director and Technical Product Owner, IoT Platform)
Job TitleR&D Manager (R&D Director and Technical Product Owner, IoT Platform)
Our Opportunity to You
Philips Lighting is poised to be one of the top global players in the Internet of Things (IoT) space. The company, already a top-class technology multi-national, is rapidly transforming from global leader of LED Lighting to the leader of connected and digital lighting. We are transforming lighting solutions into new concepts that connect people, places, and devices in a whole new way.
We are the leading provider of lighting systems, services, and applications both for professional and consumer markets. Our products and systems are built for world-class light quality, energy management, information management, lighting experience, safety and value creation for homes, cities, offices, industry buildings, retail chains, hotels etc.
We are currently building a world-class IoT platform. Our aim is to provide the industrial-grade common infrastructure to support the rapid and efficient creation and operation of high value-added products, systems, and services by all Philips Lighting businesses. At the heart of this IoT platform is the Data and Analytics Platform team, providing the infrastructure and expertise to collect and process really Big Data, originating from the ubiquitous lighting infrastructure, our customers, and our business processes, in order to support differentiated systems and data-enabled services.
As a Technical Product Ownwer, we offer you the opportunity to work in a global brand, world-leading multinational organization, that will support your personal and professional development.
If you are a talented and driven individual looking for an opportunity to work in the cutting-edge of the IoT industry, become part of a high-energy, high-talent team located in the Greater Boston area, and make a strong impact on the transformation of a global leading company and the industry, we want to talk to you about joining our team!
You will report to the Head of the IoT Data and Analytics Platform, Philips Lighting. Together with architects, technical product managers, and senior R&D staff, you form the IoT Data and Analytics Platform Leadership Team (LT). You are the owner of the areas of your responsibility, but you are also participating in the overall decision making process as a member of the IoT Data and Analytics Platform LT.
You will be leading the Data and Analytics Platform team that is developing your technical software platform product and ensure that your team follows sound engineering practices, test-driven development, and modern agile development software methodologies (scrum, SAFe). You will be responsible and accountable for all aspects of Product and Engineering related to the definition, development and delivery of your specific technical software platform product. Essentially, you are the Product Owner responsible for defining and prioritizing your team's backlog of user stories to drive the development of your technical software platform product.
Additional responsibilities include:
- In the context of the overall strategic product direction of the Data and Analytics Platform, you are responsible for defining and maintaining your detailed backlog, as well as for planning, executing, and delivering your specific technical software platform product.
- Responsible for identifying and tracking the requirements and dependencies of your technical software platform product to ensure correct focus and timely delivery.
- Working closely with the Data and Analytics Platform technical leadership team to translate your product requirements into well designed and implemented system architecture and software components.
- You, together with the rest of the technical product management team of the Data and Analytics Platform, are supporting the Head of the Data Analytics Platform in defining the overall business and product strategy.
We are looking for:
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or related Engineering is required and 20+ years of proven, hands-on track-record as a software developer in cloud-enabled services and complex software systems (M.Sc and 18+ years or experience, Ph.D. and 15+ years of experience) is required
- 10+ years of proven, hands-on track-record as a technical lead, systems architect, R&D manager, and/or senior developer working in creating software and cloud-enabled services
- 3+ years of experience as a Product Owner of one or more technical software product scrum team(s)
- 3+ years as a line manager of software development teams
- 5+ years in teams applying modern agile software development methodologies (incl. scrum)
- Significant expertise in Machine Learning and Big Data technologies, e.g. Hadoop, Storm, Spark, Hive, Kafka, Flume, NoSQL stores (e.g. HBase, Cassandra, DynamoDB, MongoDB etc), and RDBMS
- Significant expertise in Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies and/or RESTful Web services is required
- Experience in Test-Driven Development practices
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and ability to interact with multiple teams. #LI-FM1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top