Job TitleProcurement Engineer
Achieve product cost reduction through value engineering and supply chain optimization. Be a key participant in the "idea to market" (I2M) process, from business planning to product lifecycle cost optimization, with a focus in new product development. Assist development teams, by providing accurate cost estimates and challenging them to optimize the product and supply chain.
As a member of new product development teams, provide essential cost/value engineering services and act as an interface to commodity teams.
- Drive value engineering by challenging cost drivers and investigating more cost effective solutions, both in product architecture/design and supply chain.
- Provide accurate cost estimates to development team, based on current assumptions of product architecture/design and supply chain. Cost estimates are also used to derive cost targets for negotiations with suppliers.
- Facilitate implementation of commodity strategies by aligning product and supply chain design upfront with agreed procurement strategies, and escalating in cases of persistent deviation.
- Provide input for supplier selection, provides key details and guidance to the commodity teams, to enable best choice of supplier.
- Assist preparation of Procurement performance/status reports by providing relevant data for the product or the business unit to heads of procurement engineering and/or commodity teams.
- Lead cost re-designs, may frequently lead or contribute to projects tasked to identify and/or implement specific cost reductions in an existing product or family of products.
- Assist business planning by providing plausible and realistic "should-cost" assessments for newly proposed products to be considered in the go/no go decision. Provide realistic cost roadmaps based on expected technological evolution for existing product categories.
- Be in regular contact with business and category management teams and senior management of all functions.
You will work closely with specific Philips businesses and new product development teams. Be part of a larger international group of individuals with similar and related roles and part of the functional procurement pillar within the company.
We are looking for
- BS/MS in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Electronic Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in a mixed volume, assembly-type industry in supply chain related functions (production management, industrial engineering, purchasing, quality) or related financial functions (cost engineering, supplier auditing)
- Sound practical knowledge of how supply chains work and able to assess cost drivers of industrial processes
- Familiarity with how cost calculations are derived and what direct costs and mark-ups are applicable, throughout the entire supply chain
- Experience in contract manufacturing and/or EMS providers, Tier 1 and 2
- Change management experience (i.e. lean manufacturing or six sigma style programs)
- Familiarity with DFMA (Design for Manufacturing & Assembly), reverse engineering or other Value Engineering tools is highly desirable
- Strong networking, influencing and communication skills; ability to lead teams effectively
- Proficient in MS Office and ERP/MRP systems, SAP highly preferred
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without current or future company sponsorship needs.
Visit our careers website to learn more about Philips Lighting or introduce yourself on our Talent Community.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top