Plant Specialist – Horticultural LED North America
Job TitlePlant Specialist – Horticultural LED North America
Philips has been leading in growth lighting for Horticulture for many years. LED technology applied in horticulture brings new opportunities: now growth light can be tuned exactly to the crop and its environment, thus improving yield and saving energy. Together with growers, partners and universities, Philips develops solutions for best business results. The geographical scope is North America (and occasionally South America). Customer segments are research institutes, universities and commercial greenhouses for high wire vegetables and other food crops.
The role is part of the LED Horticulture team of Philips Lighting and has a focus on plant physiology, developing new lighting recipes, and strongly supporting the commercial sales endeavors before, during, and after a sale is completed. The Plant Specialist will directly report to the Director of Business Development, North America and be connected to the Plant Specialist team in Eindhoven. He/she will work in close collaboration with the Project Application Engineers and Key Account Managers in Eindhoven and USA, to bring optimal advice and growth solutions to customers. You will understand the customers' preferred method of conducting business and work with them to gain a deep understanding of their business needs. You have an active interest in the business world and a desire to be recognized for success by peers and customers. You are able to fulfill fully the Principal Accountabilities, possess the Required Sills and bring the listed Education & Experience to the job function.
Principal Accountabilities (but not limited to):
Responsible to support customer's plant research in the North American region (USA, Canada) and occasionally South America. This includes relationship building with customers and academic networks necessary to achieve business objectives for that region. Your key responsibilities are:
- Practical research (good preparations to meet customers)
- Share knowledge internally with colleagues and externally with customers, by means of presentations, work updates, building recipes
- Support sales in relation management by doing customer visits, giving support to customers, and bringing new leads
- Working with the North American Key Account Managers to foster relationships internally and externally in business development
- Build relationships with knowledgeable universities and key-influencers that enable knowledge or promotion
- Collaborating and providing support to our North American Horti Partners
- Represent Philips Horticultural LED business at fairs etc.
Commercial and application research
- Perform commercial and application research, based on the business development plan for the region and the recipe roadmap, as well as on request of customers
- Projects should be set up with a project plan (including test set up, agreements, follow up and reporting). Focus is on recipe development for the customer to enable a commercial deal and on developing recipes for Philips that are the base of future deals
- Providing insight and relevant production advice before, during, and after a sale is transacted to ensure holistic production parameters are understood to achieve optimum growing environments
New trends and innovation
- Keep up to date with developments and interests in the market on light but also on other developments in greenhouses by joining seminars, reading internet, fairs, doing projects together with other companies / partners etc.
- Provide input to development and marketing on new opportunities for Philips Horticulture
- Graduate from National renowned agricultural university. Specialized in plant physiology, plant nutrients or horticulture; Doctor Degree is a plus; Overseas education and experience preferable
- 2+ years in a key research role within the academic community
- In-depth technical growing knowledge of the climate-controlled growing environment high-wire industry, as well as the climate-controlled vegetable industry, especially tomatoes
- Experience in assisting to develop business with customers with an above average skill set in sales-support relations
- Customer focused while still maintaining the Company initiatives
- 3 years (min.) to 5 years (desired) of work experience in a key position within the commercial high-wire vegetable greenhouse industry with a reputable firm, especially tomatoes
- Deep understanding of principles of plant physiology and all aspects of plant growing technology
- Excellent interpersonal and business communication skills – both internal and external
- Positive attitude as a team player and eager to achieve excellent business results.
- Reliable, work independently, punctual, structured, and looking for a longer term position.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with spreadsheets, functional databases, CRM, enterprise wide software applications, and Microsoft Office suite
- Must be organized with strong time management, analytical, creative, and negotiating skills
- Drafting, editing and proofreading documents, excellent writing skills are needed for this position.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects to completion and within deadlines.
- Experienced data gathering, market research, and compilation into concise and presentable formats
- High problem solving ability, assistance in consultative selling and capable to develop complex business cases and bring them to conclusion
- Experience setting up product trials and working with researchers
- Strong ability & experience in creating PowerPoints matched with excellent presentation skills
- Capable to work in new business venture environment
- High level of initiative with the ability to self-motivate.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize.
- Experienced working in a distance-team environment
- Good English skills in reading, writing and speaking
- French and / or Spanish speaking is a plus
- Willingness to travel ≥ 50%
Reporting lines: Reporting to the Director of Business Development, Horticulture LED Solutions, North America
Base: in North America near a major airport, ideally centrally located
Advance your career in an environment that supports work-life balance, well-being and continuous learning. Making an impact through meaningful innovation starts here. Apply today!
Visit our careers website to learn more about Philips Lighting or introduce yourself on our Talent Community.
Philips Lighting Canada Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer
We have been made aware of fraudulent job offers, misrepresenting Philips in the market place. Philips does not send a cheque when making a job offer and does not charge a fee for any phase of the job application process. If you receive a cheque or are requested to pay a fee in order to process a job application or conduct a background check, these are not authorized Philips communications. Also, be advised that Philips employees only conduct email communications via "@philips.com" email accounts, communication from other email accounts like @philipslighting.ca are not official Philips communications. Always exercise caution when personal information is being requested of you. To report a scam, please visit the Government of Canada's Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre website at www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca
#LI-NC1 10 No
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Sales Manager Public & Sports
Cor leads his team through the commercial landscape. He oversees product development, identifies new market opportunities, and determines optimal consumer potentials for the company.
Back to top