Philips hue System & Application Engineer
Job TitlePhilips hue System & Application Engineer
Philips is taking Lighting beyond illumination, in beautifully illuminated indoor and outdoor spaces, with LED-lighting points connected to intelligent systems that are a pathway for information and new services. In this way, we do meaningful work, while the whole world is lighting up and we are linking this to the internet of things. We invite you to experience what it means to be part of our innovative workforce and to contribute yourself to the diversity of ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through a brighter world. How Philips Lighting lights the world beyond illumination: http://bit.ly/1VBIoWk.
In your role as system pre-development and application engineer, you will be preparing new system features and integrations for development in the various products inside the hue ecosystem.
Your challenge will be working in a diverse fast moving team to support the investigation of issues, translation of new feature concepts into de-risked specifications and support the subsequent development. The hue ecosystem is extremely diverse and interaction can be very complex touching a broad range of technologies (from the smallest embedded processors to public clouds and smartphones) which are moving fast in line with consumer electronics trends forcing you to learn new technologies and concepts extremely fast.
Further, the ongoing development of hue ecosystem is driven not only by internal developments but increasingly by those by external companies making use of the interfaces our system offers for integration. Supporting the effective initial analysis and support of these integrations will be one of your key challenges.
Main tasks will include:
- Creation of initial feature/concept requirements based on discussions with product owners, marketing and architects.
- Mapping requirements on to range of potential solutions within the hue system with indication of pros and cons of various options and identification of risk/uncertainty areas.
- Building of product and system level prototypes in order to remove uncertainty and give any necessary input for feature requirements, feasibility or specifications.
- Participation or leading of feature teams together with development engineers and architects to create final development specifications for teams.
- Support transfer of new features into development and towards the subsequent launch.
- Investigation of complex system issues and recommendation of potential fixes and improvements to addresses these supported by prototypes and measured data.
- Initial analysis and discussion with external integration partners to assess and communicate back to central team on how a potential integration maps onto our system and the potential risks and new features that could be required to support.
- Technical support of integration partners to successfully onboard their products onto our system.
- Generation of new feature ideas and improvements for the hue ecosystem products.
- Generation of Intellectual property descriptions for inventions discovered in process of developing new feature and integration concepts.
In these tasks, you will primarily be working individually or in small teams for one of the system architects or specific product owners of the hue system.
The Home Systems (Philips Hue) team within Philips Lighting is tasked with innovation and go to market of connected lighting systems for use in the home – and as such is integral part of realizing the move towards systems and solutions. The first connected consumer lighting system, Philips Hue, was launched on Oct 1st 2012 and remains one of the leading consumer internet of things products. The R&D team is located in Eindhoven NL, Shanghai (CHN), Palo Alto (US) and Bangalore (IND). The R&D team is responsible for the mid and long term innovation funnel, Connected System development and maintenance of the system.
This job resides in the Hue R&D team.
The Philips Hue is a complex system of many components, principally Smartphone apps, light sources, a bridge and a portal. The Hue system will continue to evolve, driven by new internal development, external developments in its ecosystem (app and hardware development), evolution of standards and the expansion of the system to new segments/markets/channels.
Ever wondered what life at Philips Lighting looks like? Check out some of our inspiring employee stories to see what we mean
We are looking for:
Candidates who share our passion to improve people's live. Our ideal candidate has:
- University educated in technical or design discipline to Masters or PhD level
- 2+ years experience with lighting or other home automation control systems. (C/C++)
- 2+ years experience in software development either embedded, web or mobile application. (C/C++)
- Excellent and fluent communicator in English with experience presenting to large groups >50 people.
- Creative problem solver, able to independently scope, refine and propose solutions to problems together with technical and marketing stakeholders.
- Solid experience of user experience design and ability to empathize with user point of view in the creation and specifications of alternative solutions.
We offer you the opportunity to work for the #1 lighting organization. We'll reward you with an attractive compensation package and the chance to stretch yourself further. Show us your energy, your creativity and your sound professional judgment, and we'll match these with educational and other opportunities within a dynamic, international setting.
Our benefits are very competitive and designed around your preferences:
- Depending on experience, we offer you a market conform salary
- 25 Days of leave and the possibility to purchase up to 20 extra days off annually
- A variable bonus based on both Philips results and personal performance
- Extensive set of tools to drive your career, such as a personal development budget, free training and coaching
- Solid company pension scheme and attractive collective health insurance package
- Opportunity to buy Philips shares and products with discount
- Healthy work-life balance
Join the leading lighting company for the digital world, and help us unlock the extraordinary potential of light for brighter lives and a better world. Be a game changer. Be Philips Lighting. Apply today. If you are interested in this opportunity to join us, please upload your resume and motivation letter through the Philips career site.
As we have no closing date set we urge you to apply as soon as possible!
After a pre-selection process you can receive an invite for a phone interview by the Talent Acquisition Consultant followed by a (face-to-face) business interview round. The interviews will take place in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Sales Manager Public & Sports
Cor leads his team through the commercial landscape. He oversees product development, identifies new market opportunities, and determines optimal consumer potentials for the company.
Back to top