Philips hue Embedded Software and System Engineer
Job TitlePhilips hue Embedded Software and System Engineer
Philips hue is the global leader in connected consumer lighting. Thanks to the magical customer experiences created by our wireless controlled lighting products, we are undergoing rapid growth. In sales, in functionality and application scope. That is why Philips hue is hiring!
We are looking for ambitious professionals who want to help redefine lighting for the digital age. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help shape one of the world's leading smart home platforms and have a powerful impact on people's everyday lives.
Are you just as excited about the Internet of Things (IoT) and the smart home as we are? Do you want to play a pivotal role as embedded software and system engineer for the Philips hue connected lighting range of products? Are you thrilled about what connected lighting can offer to our consumers at home and do you have the drive to help us to further improve this? Then this might be the job for you!
Want to find out more about working at Philips hue? We invite you to visit us online and check our inspiring hue employee stories to see what we mean: http://philips.to/2nrkzs7.
In your role as embedded software and system engineer, you will work on the specification, prototyping, and development of first of a kind products, system features and integrations inside the Philips hue ecosystem.
You extend the current fast moving cross-functional team with deep expertise and insights in world-class embedded software development.
The hue product ecosystem is diverse and touches a broad range of technologies (e.g. connectivity, networking, security, power management and sensor signal processing). In line with consumer electronics trends, these technologies are moving fast, forcing you to learn new technologies and concepts extremely fast. Bringing the newest product solutions from initial idea to released products will be your key challenge.
You will work together in a cross-functional global team to create winning experiences for our customers.
Your main tasks will include:
- Creation of initial feature/concept requirements based on discussions with product owners, marketing and architects.
- Building of product level prototypes in order to remove uncertainty and give any necessary input for feature requirements, feasibility or specifications.
- Participation or leading of feature teams together with other development engineers and architects to create final development specifications for the different teams.
- Design and implementation of embedded product software on subsystem level for first of a kind products, in close cooperation with the hardware and other software teams.
- Integration, test, verification and release of software for the integrated product.
- Investigation of complex system issues and recommendation of potential fixes and improvements to addresses these supported by prototypes and measured data.
- Adherence with processes (including tools, build process) and contribution in process improvements.
- Keeping abreast of technical developments in own field and proactive knowledge sharing with others.
You will be part of the Research and Development team of the Home Systems (Philips hue) business, and based in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. For your role you will need to work closely with various product development and product management teams. You will work in a global team, with colleagues located in Eindhoven, Shanghai (China), Palo Alto (US) and Bangalore (India).
What we are looking for
Our ideal candidate:
- Academic level working and thinking skills, educated/experienced in complex software and systems.
- 5+ years of experience in embedded software development.
- Excellent and fluent communicator in English.
- Team player with affinity with working in large cross functional and international teams.
- Experience in developing embedded software in C.
- Experience with high level object oriented programming languages, e.g. C#, or Python, is a pre.
- Experience with wireless communication protocols, such as ZigBee, WiFi, Bluetooth, and/or IoT/control systems.
- Experience in working with agile development techniques.
- Creative problem solver, able to independently scope, refine and propose solutions to problems together with technical and marketing stakeholders.
- A flexible and open attitude combined with an entrepreneurial spirit and a continuous improvement mindset.
We offer you the opportunity to work for the global #1 lighting organization. We'll reward you with an attractive compensation package and the chance to stretch yourself further. Show us your energy, your creativity and your sound professional judgment, and we'll match these with educational and other opportunities within a dynamic, international setting.
- Our benefits are very competitive and designed around your preferences:
- Depending on experience, we offer you a market conform salary
- 25 Days of leave and the possibility to purchase up to 20 extra days off annually
- A variable bonus based on both Philips Lighting results and personal performance
- Extensive set of tools to drive your career, such as a personal development budget, free training and coaching
- Solid company pension scheme and attractive collective health insurance package
- Opportunity to buy Philips Lighting shares and products with discount
- Healthy work-life balance
If you're interested in this opportunity to join us, we urge you to upload your resume as soon as possible through the Philips career site.
After a pre-selection process based on your CV, you will be invited for recruitment- and business interviews.
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top