Optical Development Engineer
Job TitleOptical Development Engineer
Be responsible for designing both the illumination (reflector/LED) and projection (lens) systems of fixed and automated luminaires for the entertainment industry. Work with the Product Manager to help define optical specifications of new products, as well as a team of mechanical, electrical and software engineers to design luminaires.
- Communicate closely with lens, lamp and other optical component manufacturers to understand their capabilities.
- Design products that can be manufactured and are cost-effective, while achieving performance specifications.
- Maintain knowledge of the latest technologies and advancements in the field. Determine how those advancements can be used in our products and industry.
- Assist the Production and QC departments when an optical issue arises, during the manufacture of new or existing products.
- Other activities include benchmarking, technology scouting and IP creation.
Our products are used throughout the entertainment industry: concerts from Miranda Lambert to AC/DC, Broadway shows such as The Lion King and Wicked, awards shows like the Emmys and the Grammys, TV shows and special events such as the Super Bowl Halftime Show and America's Got Talent. Our products add to the overall experience of these high profile entertainment acts. You will be an integral part of the very creative team responsible for bringing new ideas to life for use on new stages around the world.
We are looking for
- BS Physics, Masters in Optics preferred
- 5+ years of practical experience preferred
- Proven record of optical designs, including multi element zoom lens systems
- Illumination design experience
- Strong photometry and colorimetry knowledge and experience
- Thin film coating knowledge and experience
- Optical drawings and specifications
- Design tools: Zemax, Lighttools, ASAP or FRED, ProSource, Matlab
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without current or future company sponsorship needs.
Visit our careers website to learn more about Philips Lighting or introduce yourself on our Talent Community.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top