Lead Development Engineer (Principal Data Scientist)
Job TitleLead Development Engineer (Principal Data Scientist)
Philips Lighting is poised to be one of the top global players in the Internet of Things (IoT) space. The company, already a top-class technology multi-national, is rapidly transforming from global leader of LED Lighting to the leader of connected and digital lighting. We are transforming lighting solutions into new concepts that connect people, places, and devices in a whole new way.
We are the leading provider of lighting systems, services, and applications both for professional and consumer markets. Our products and systems are built for world-class light quality, energy management, information management, lighting experience, safety and value creation for homes, cities, offices, industry buildings, retail chains, hotels etc.
We are currently building a world-class IoT platform. Our aim is to provide the industrial-grade common infrastructure to support the rapid and efficient creation and operation of high value-added products, systems, and services by all Philips Lighting businesses. At the heart of this IoT platform is the IoT Data and Analytics Platform team, providing the infrastructure and expertise to collect and process really Big Data, originating from the ubiquitous lighting infrastructure, our customers, and our business processes, in order to support differentiated systems and data-enabled services.
If you are a talented and driven individual looking for an opportunity to work in the cutting-edge of the IoT industry, become part of a high-energy, high-talent team located in the Greater Boston area, and make a strong impact on the transformation of a global leading company and the industry, we want to talk to you about joining our team!
As a Principal Data Scientist you will work closely with the IoT Data and Analytics Platform Product team to engage with customers to understand their needs and identify opportunities to create insights and business value on top of data. Additionally, you will apply a broad array of techniques spanning machine learning, statistics, mathematics, modeling, simulation and data-mining to propose, prototype, and implement solutions that create insights and business value on top of data.
Additional detailed responsibilities include:
- Process complex data structures, perform statistical data reduction, summarization, normalization and multivariate data analyses and report findings using advanced visualization techniques.
- Contribute product-quality implementations of scalable, optimized, and reusable machine learning and analytics algorithms to the IoT Data and Analytics algorithmic library.
- Work closely with the IoT Data and Analytics Platform engineering teams and provide your guidance and expertise to assist their efforts to productize optimized big data analytics use cases.
We are looking for:
- 8+ years of proven, hands-on track-record as a data scientist working to deliver solutions to real-world business problems
- 3+ years working in teams applying modern agile software development practices
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Digital Communications, Digital Signal Processing, or related Engineering
- Extensive experience in algorithm development, data mining, data processing, machine learning (supervised and unsupervised learning), modeling and simulation, and data visualization techniques
- Deep knowledge of applied statistics, data-mining strategies and ability to prototype solutions quickly
- Strong expertise in data science, machine learning, and big data programming languages, tools, and technologies: Python, R, Hadoop, Spark are required and one or more of Java, Golang, Scala, Storm, Hive, NoSQL stores (e.g. HBase, Cassandra, DynamoDB, MongoDB etc), and RDBMS.
- Good understanding of big data and analytics cloud computing technologies
- Experience in software architecture, design, and implementation of cloud-based services a strong plus
- Strong verbal and written communications and presentation skills, and ability to interact with multiple teams and customers. #LI-FM1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Business Development Manager, Consumer Channel
Sean identifies new business opportunities in the market. He provides high-quality products throughout the marketplace for consumers to bring into their homes.
Back to top