Lead Data Scientist
Job TitleLead Data Scientist
Our Opportunity to You:
Are you someone who always comes up with great ideas and ready to use your creative mind to solve practical problems? If that is the case, this role may be for you. With a great freedom to innovate, you will play an active role in a world-class research and front-end innovation that is at the heart of the future of the company. You will have a unique opportunity to make a difference by innovating new IoT, data and analytics enabled systems and services for the Philips Lighting business. You will have a great opportunity to create innovations and technical breakthroughs with major potential business impact, drive them to business successes, protected by relevant IP. You will conduct end-to-end innovation with the business, markets and end-customers by leveraging global teams, and the US entrepreneurial and innovative ecosystem. You will be encouraged to publish and secure your ideas with patents
You will be working with a dynamic team of Innovators and Researchers that are at the center of digital innovations for Philips Lighting. You will be working at Philips Lighting Research North America (PLRNA) focusing on researching and developing leading-edge solutions for the Philips Lighting business; including smart algorithms, service propositions, data-enabled tools, IoT, cloud applications, connected lighting for smart spaces, and human centric lighting. The team works closely with Philips Lighting Research globally, partners with world-class institutes such as MIT, and leverages the North America ecosystem. We are located at the heart of Cambridge, MA.
Philips Lighting is the global leader in lighting products, systems, and services. Our understanding of how lighting positively affects people, coupled with our deep technological know-how, enable us to deliver digital lighting solutions that unlock new business value, deliver rich user experiences, and help improve lives. As we embark on the transformation of the Lighting business toward IoT and services, you will have a unique opportunity to make a difference in a growing area.
Join us and be part of a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities to shape a number of innovation topics and application areas related to data, analytics, cloud applications, and services.
You will apply your data science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and IoT knowledge and experience in combination with your business skills to identify new problems and opportunities, develop innovative services propositions, and build first-of-a-kind proof-of-concept demonstrators. You will own, lead and grow such new data science-related propositions. Your work will involve agile development of cloud-based data analytics and business-enabling solutions for Philips smart lighting systems and services teams. Being part of our front-end organization, you will actively scout, keep track of, evaluate, and leverage disruptive technologies, and emerging industrial, academic, technological and socioeconomic trends. An integral part of your role is to interact business stakeholders and customers to understand their problems and seek advocacy on practical use cases. In addition, you will transfer technology, and share insights and best practices across innovation teams. You will translate strategic innovations into compelling business propositions.
As a Lead Data Scientist, you will be challenged to be influential and make a positive difference in a well-established team that is leading technology and business transformation. Further, you will need to establish yourself as a thought leader in your area of expertise. Strong communication skills are essential to deliver your message globally across various stakeholders/teams with diverse backgrounds and focus areas spanning scientific research, development, engineering, business, marketing/sales, and management. You will also be working in a very agile, dynamic environment leading/supporting ongoing activities while starting new ones.
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related fields with 5+ years of experience
- Strong knowledge of data mining and machine learning algorithms, regression techniques, neural networks, decision trees, clustering, pattern recognition, probability theory, stochastic systems, Bayesian inference, statistical techniques and dimensionality reduction
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience of artificial intelligence, self-learning systems and deep learning is a strong great plus.
- Familiarity with database warehousing principles and database systems such as SQL and NoSQL
- Experience in using multiple data sources to develop strategies with outputs that are insightful and actionable
- Strong working experience with Big Data and knowledge of big data infrastructure
- Programming experience with C/C++, Java, Python, or other related tools
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation and leadership skills as well as ability to work in a global team
- Experience with developing, implementing and maintaining large scale data-enabled solutions and services
Skills and experience in some of the following areas would be a plus:
- Experience with distributed software systems, computer networking and data analytics infrastructure
- Proficiency in software API design and access control to enable new services and applications
- Familiarity with Hadoop and Map-Reduce programming
- Experience in sensor analytics/signal processing
- Prior agile/Scrum experience
- AWS Certificated Professional Solution Architect or Microsoft Certified Solutions Architect (or demonstrated ability to achieve certification) #LI-FM1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top