IoT Prototype Research Engineer (Firmware/HW/Embedded Systems, Software & Design)
Job TitleIoT Prototype Research Engineer (Firmware/HW/Embedded Systems, Software & Design)
Philips Lighting Research North America (PLRNA) focuses on researching and developing leading-edge solutions for the Philips Lighting business including digital innovations, smart algorithms, services, data-enabled tools, IoT, cloud applications, connected lighting for smart spaces and human centric lighting. You will be working with a dynamic team of innovators and researchers that are at the center of digital innovations for Philips Lighting. The team works closely with Philips Lighting Research globally, partners with world-class institutes such as MIT, and leverages the North America eco system. .
Philips Lighting is the global leader in lighting products, systems and services. Our understanding of how lighting positively affects people coupled with our deep technological know-how enable us to deliver digital lighting innovations that unlock new business value, deliver rich user experiences and help to improve lives. As we embark on the transformation of the Lighting business toward IoT and services, you will have a unique opportunity to make a difference early on.Join us and be part of a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities to grow.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
As an IoT Prototype Research Engineer, your will work within research projects to develop, design, implement and evaluate intelligent indoor and outdoor lighting systems, IoT platforms and cloud applications. Work closely with colleagues in global Research and business to successfully transfer the innovations. You will be responsible for planning and executing pilots of innovative systems. You will help architect new smart connected lighting systems. In this role, you will wear many hats; build boards, signal processing, proof of concepts, research, prototyping and more.
We are looking for an exceptional, results-driven, customer-focused system engineer who can think "out of the box". The ideal candidate will exhibit drive, analytical thinking, and versatility.
Must have the following skills, abilities and knowledge:
- 6 to 10 years of professional relative experience
- Master of Science in Engineering, Science or quantitative discipline field
- PhD in in Engineering, Science or quantitative discipline field preferred
- Embedded system design (hardware and firmware).
- Software and Linux based firmware development;
- Embedded SW development (C/C++, Python, Java and/or, Nodejs)
- Hardware design and implementation (breadboards, PCBs, cables, etc.) as necessary
- Knowledge of HW interface, serial and networking protocols (I2C, UART, SPI, TCP/IP, UDP, RS-232, RS-422, DALI);
- Hands on experience with microcontroller (ARM Cortex M0/M3/M4, MSP430, AVR, etc)
- Hands on experience with bench equipment (DMM, oscilloscope, bench power supply, protocol analyzer, signal generator, etc)
- Knowledge of analog/digital circuit design, preferable experience with EAD design tool (Mentor Graphics PADS, Altium, etc)
- Embedded real-time SW programming, debugging and interfacing skills
- Strong hardware testing, system design and integration, verification and validation experience
- Software design, Agile SW development methodology, unit testing and debugging
- IoT, cloud platforms
In addition, the following skills and experience would be a plus:
- Knowledge and experience of the leading lighting systems
- LED lighting controls
- Quickly learn and implement new technologies;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and with small and/or remote teams
- Fast learner and the mindset of an innovator to embrace & tackle any complex problem
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, and protected veteran or marital status. #LI-TB1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top