Internship: Communication for IoT lighting devices (Computer Scientist - Electrical Engineer)
Job TitleInternship: Communication for IoT lighting devices (Computer Scientist - Electrical Engineer)
Power-efficient E2E communication for IoT lighting devices
Lighting positively affects people coupled with our deep technological know-how enable us to deliver digital lighting innovations that unlock new business value, deliver rich user experiences and help to improve lives. Serving professional and consumer markets, we sell more energy efficient LED lighting than any other company. We lead the industry in connected lighting systems and services, leveraging the Internet of Things to take light beyond illumination and transform homes, buildings and urban spaces.
This thesis project is an excellent opportunity to work in one of the key challenges in vast deployment of IoT systems. Society and legislation bodies are getting aware of a growing electricity consumption caused by a plethora of connected and communicating devices, and coming up with system solutions to counteract this threat is of high relevance for the industry.
In this internship, energy usage of the IoT system is to be investigated and optimized.
More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Investigate the existing and upcoming protocols
- Break down power consumption vs. distance/speed/mesh-size
- Fine related best practices (e.g. communication to electronic price tags, room thermostats)
- Generate a "tool" (spreadsheet, Online tool) to optimize mesh-size, gateway-density, latency
- Nice to have: Investigate Fall-Back scenarios (Switch to alternative configuration immediately to ensure QoS, then optimize during operation)
- Make a demo (Desirable but not compulsory)
You will cooperate with your colleagues in the "IoT Systems" research group as well as with the connected systems community in Research, Development, Design and the business units, in standardization communities and with pilots and open innovation projects that may develop technologies and business concepts suitable for the strategic direction of Philips Lighting. You will be located in Eindhoven, High Tech Campus (The Netherlands).
We are looking for
- Currently studying towards your HBO Bachelor/Bachelor of Science/Master of Science WO in one of the following faculties: Computer Science, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Hardware or Software engineering, Communications, ICT, Software Technology, Physics or related fields.
- Fluency in English is a must
We offer you
- A fun and dynamic environment in which you will be challenged by people as passionate and smart as you
- You will receive an internship allowance; the exact amount depends on your situation also towards rented accommodation or public transport
- Suitable for thesis
- Duration: 6 months (negotiable)
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Job is located in Eindhoven at the High Tech Campus
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and are you ready to take on this challenge? Be Philips Lighting. Apply today.
Please upload your resume through the Philips career site-vacancy number 261699. After a pre-selection process based on your CV, you will be invited for a face-to-face business interview.
Contact Person: Silvia Cusumano [email protected]
- EU/EER students: In order to be considered for this internship, you need to be registered as a student during the entire internship period. Formal documentation of this may be requested at any time.
- Non EU students in Dutch Universities: You need to be registered as a student and your university needs to sign the Nuffic Agreement. The internship needs to be compulsory part of your studies (receive ECTS in turn). In case of non-compulsory internship, you need to encompass a letter from the university in which it states that the internship contributes to your personal development, what your learning goals will be and what tasks you will carry out during the internship. The letter has to be signed and stamped by your university.
- Non EU students in non-Dutch Universities: You need to be registered as a student and the internship should be compulsory part of your studies. In addition, you need to be able to get official approval of your university for this internship.
Please apply only if you can meet the aforementioned requirements.
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Sales Manager Public & Sports
Cor leads his team through the commercial landscape. He oversees product development, identifies new market opportunities, and determines optimal consumer potentials for the company.
Back to top