Distribution Center Manager
Signify, the new company name of Philips Lighting, is the global leader in lighting building on 125+ years of innovations.
Our purpose is to unlock the extraordinary potential of light for brighter lives and a better world.
We are proud to be ahead of the game in the Internet of Things and on track to be carbon neutral by 2020. We learn through disruptive challenges and our performance is powered through our diverse teams. Our Philips products, Interact connected lighting systems, and data-enabled services transform people's lives in homes, buildings, and public spaces.
We define the meaning of light...join us to #findyourmeaning @ Signify!
This role is part of the Supply Chain, responsible for our distribution center in Memphis, TN. Its responsibilities are at the heart of driving logistics, so aspiring for excellence must be in your DNA.
Together we can...
- Ensures the optimum, cost-efficient, daily and long-term operation of the center by managing and implementing general operational policies and procedures. The incumbent is also accountable for various other types of policies, which include, but are not limited to, safety standards, operational work shifts for hourly associates, proper handling of products (correct storage, correct space, correct method to load carriers, etc.). The incumbent must, at all times, ensure daily operations contribute to the objective of shipping the proper material directly to the customer on a timely basis and in a cost-efficient manner. To achieve main objectives, the incumbent must manage a variety of schedules and activities, which impact the ability to meet customer's requests.
- Ensures federal and state transportation laws are met by researching, reviewing, posting and training own subordinates on handling "hazardous materials" packaging and shipping rules and requirements, etc. The incumbent may also be directly involved with the application of international shipment laws and regulations.
- Ensures optimum service to all PLC customers by actively planning the process by which shipments and deliveries of products directly to the customer (direct shipment) are to occur. The planning and processing procedure may include workforce, load planning, etc.
- Promptly responds to urgent requests from customers by discussing situation directly with sales force, researches all possible methods to service the customer while limiting disruption to the workflow and jeopardizing other customer needs. It is the accountability of the incumbent to manage all problem-solving situations in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensures the department's continued commitment to optimum customer service and cost-efficiency by assisting immediate supervisor in the development of the short and long-term strategic development through sound, cost effective recommendations, as well as, provide assistance and share knowledge with peers. The incumbent is also accountable for the development of the center's overall budget. The incumbent directly assists peers in meeting customer requests (P1) by sharing ideas, resources and products, as necessary.
- Assists in ensuring the warehouse is consistently stocked to the appropriate level on all items by analyzing inventory data and responding accordingly, which may include contracting deployment for information on the shipment of finished goods from the source centers (plant warehouses), etc. The incumbent communicates extensively with the deployment associates and management. In this manner, the incumbent ensures all requests from customers are promptly managed.
- Ensures the successful and thorough planning and developing methods by which to increase inventory accuracy while reducing the warehouse downtime via the cycle counting program. The incumbent is accountable for all inventory discrepancies.
- Ensures the successful relationship between management and represented or non-represented associates. Incumbent maintains good working environment and deals fairly and equally with all associates in a represented or non-represented location.
- Performs a variety of supervisory duties which include, but are not limited to, recruitment, hiring, department orientation, training, effective and supportive communication, sharing and explaining the business plan, utilization of the performance appraisal program, career development, application of company values (quality, development, leadership, technical competence, teamwork, customer satisfaction and communication) salary administration, disciplinary action as necessary, termination, etc.
- Develops and maintains current knowledge and skills on all industry and/or professional trends in own field.
- This position fosters PLC's quality commitment to meeting customer requirements and improving job performance by applying the core concepts and tools of QIS (meeting customer requirements, cost of ownership, cost of quality, defect prevention, responsibility for own work and zero defects). It is the responsibility of this position to actively contribute to PLC's market leadership and to strengthen its position on a long-term basis by inspiring others to the commitment of zero errors and error-free performance.
- Supports and adheres to EEO/AAP, EPA and OSHA regulations and policies as appropriate to this position.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Management or Logistics Management
- 9-12 years of distribution/warehouse experience, or equivalent
- 5+ years of supervisory experience in a multi shift environment
- Ability to apply resourcefulness and creativity to solve warehouse space problems and department activities (processing, packaging and storage of supplies, materials and equipment)
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to direct the operation of the warehouse in a cost-effective manner, without causing interference or disruption to general operations and respond successfully to a wide variety of warehouse problems (i.e., unavailable products and/or low quantity of products to ship to customers, etc.).
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to successfully respond to urgent situations.
- Possess thorough and effective communication (oral and written) skills
- Responsible for the distribution center's overall budget and ability to implement cost control measures when needed.
- Six Sigma/lean experience preferably in a distribution/warehouse environment
- Knowledge of SAP a plus
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Elena works on developing, implementing, and managing compensation and rewards programs in order to attract, retain, and motivate employees in support of Philips’ business objectives.
Back to top