Distribution Center Manager
Job TitleDistribution Center Manager
Under the broad and general direction of the Director, National Distribution Centers, this position is accountable for managing the more complex Distribution Center and warehouse operation, its activities and associates.
- Ensures the optimum, cost-efficient, daily and long-term operation of the center by managing and implementing general operational policies and procedures. The incumbent is also accountable for various other types of policies, which include, but are not limited to, safety standards, operational work shifts for hourly associates, proper handling of products (correct storage, correct space, correct method to load carriers, etc.). The incumbent must at all times ensure daily operations contribute to the objective of shipping the proper material directly to the customer on a timely basis and in a cost-efficient manner. To achieve main objectives, the incumbent must manage a variety of schedules and activities, which impact the ability to meet customer's requests.
- Ensures federal and state transportation laws are met by researching, reviewing, posting and training own subordinates on handling "hazardous materials" packaging and shipping rules and requirements, etc. The incumbent may also be directly involved with the application of international shipment laws and regulations.
- Ensures optimum service to all PLC customers by actively planning the process by which shipments and deliveries of products directly to the customer (direct shipment) are to occur. The planning and processing procedure may include workforce, load planning, etc.
- Promptly responds to urgent requests from customers by discussing situation directly with sales force, researches all possible methods to service the customer while limiting disruption to the workflow and jeopardizing other customer needs. It is the accountability of the incumbent to manage all problem-solving situations in a cost effective manner.
- Ensures the department's continued commitment to optimum customer service and cost-efficiency by assisting immediate supervisor in the development of the short and long-term strategic development through sound, cost effective recommendations, as well as provide assistance and share knowledge with peers. The incumbent is also accountable for the development of the center's overall budget. The incumbent directly assists peers in meeting customer requests (P1) by sharing ideas, resources and products, as necessary.
- Assists in ensuring the warehouse is consistently stocked to the appropriate level on all items by analyzing inventory data and responding accordingly, which may include contracting deployment for information on the shipment of finished goods from the source centers (plant warehouses), etc. The incumbent communicates extensively with the deployment associates and management. In this manner, the incumbent ensures all requests from customers are promptly managed.
- Ensures the successful and thorough planning and developing methods by which to increase inventory accuracy while reducing the warehouse downtime via the cycle counting program. The incumbent is accountable for all inventory discrepancies.
- Ensures the successful relationship between management and represented or non-represented associates. Incumbent maintains good working environment and deals fairly and equally with all associates in a represented or non-represented location.
- Performs a variety of supervisory duties which include, but are not limited to, recruitment, hiring, department orientation, training, effective and supportive communication, sharing and explaining the business plan, utilization of the performance appraisal program, career development, application of company values (quality, development, leadership, technical competence, teamwork, customer satisfaction and communication) salary administration, disciplinary action as necessary, termination, etc.
- Develops and maintains current knowledge and skills on all industry and/or professional trends in own field.
- This position fosters PLC's quality commitment to meeting customer requirements and improving job performance by applying the core concepts and tools of QIS (meeting customer requirements, cost of ownership, cost of quality, defect prevention, responsibility for own work and zero defects). It is the responsibility of this position to actively contribute to PLC's market leadership and to strengthen its position on a long-term basis by inspiring others to the commitment of zero errors and error-free performance.
- Supports and adheres to EEO/AAP, EPA and OSHA regulations and policies as appropriate to this position.
Philips Lighting is the global leader in lighting products, systems and services. Our understanding of how lighting positively affects people coupled with our deep technological know-how enable us to deliver digital lighting innovations that unlock new business value, deliver rich user experiences and help to improve lives. Serving professional and consumer markets, we sell more energy efficient LED lighting than any other company. We lead the industry in connected lighting systems and services, leveraging the Internet of Things to take light beyond illumination and transform homes, buildings and urban spaces. For more information, visit http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/home
We are looking for:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Management or Logistics Management
- 9-12 years of distribution/warehouse experience, or equivalent
- 5+ years of supervisory experience in a multi shift environment
- Ability to apply resourcefulness and creativity to solve warehouse space problems and department activities (processing, packaging and storage of supplies, materials and equipment)
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to direct the operation of the warehouse in a cost-effective manner, without causing interference or disruption to general operations and respond successfully to a wide variety of warehouse problems (i.e., unavailable products and/or low quantity of products to ship to customers, etc.).
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to successfully respond to urgent situations.
- Possess thorough and effective communication (oral and written) skills
- Responsible for the distribution center's overall budget and ability to implement cost control measures when needed.
- Six Sigma/lean experience preferably in a distribution/warehouse environment
- Knowledge of SAP a plus
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
Advance your career in an environment that supports work-life balance, well-being and continuous learning. Making an impact through meaningful innovation starts here. Apply today!
Visit our careers website to learn more about Philips Lighting or introduce yourself on our Talent Community. #LI-LB1
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Sales Manager Public & Sports
Cor leads his team through the commercial landscape. He oversees product development, identifies new market opportunities, and determines optimal consumer potentials for the company.
Back to top