Digital System Engineer - for HUE
Job TitleDigital System Engineer - for HUE
Digital System Engineer
A Lighting Research position for Philips Hue
Are you the digital system engineer with solid prospects for a system architect having in-depth knowledge of connectivity, home automation, IoT technologies and platforms? Would you like to focus on challenging and breakthrough innovations? Can you bring innovations from conceptual phase to development in an Agile way, using state-of-the-art frameworks supported by an architectural style of thinking? Then join us!
For this role we are looking for a well-equipped digital system engineer who is passionate about using state-of-the-art concepts and technologies and is able to shape applications and bring innovations to life. Let us challenge you with exciting projects, offering the possibility of applying and extending your areas of expertise.
- Explore and develop new concepts, connectivity options, features and applications for Philips Hue connected lighting system (http://www2.meethue.com/en-us);
- Investigate different alternatives for realization and create clear option analyses to use in internal reviews;
- Build embedded proof-of-concept prototypes and PC tools for experimenting, demonstration and concept validation;
- Closely work together with colleague software, hardware and system engineers on new innovations in an agile way of working;
- Take responsibility for leading development projects with minimal supervision including assisting and mentoring less experienced engineers;
- Ensure that there is proper documentation;
- Contribute to the definition and strategy of the departments research program;
- Contribute pro-actively to a creative and inspiring working environment with your team peers.
Philips Lighting Research is the source of many advanced developments and novel technologies. Building on 100 years of experience in industrial research and our world-leading patent position, we're dedicated to bringing meaningful innovations that improve people's lives. We provide technology options for innovations in the area of Lighting, targeted at both developed and emerging markets. Positioned at the front-end of the innovation process, we work on everything from spotting trends and ideation to proof of concept and first-of-a-kind product development.
The Personal Spaces and Data Science group is installed to provide the Philips Lighting businesses with new product and service propositions for (end) consumers. Naturally these depend and relate highly on the "connected everything", "IoT", "smart homes" and "big data" paradigms of today. Today's examples are already visible i.e. the HUE (eco-) system for connected home lighting. The group teams up with other Research departments to participate in research projects to create innovative services, applications and solutions which are transferred to Philips Lighting sectors. It also creates strategies for the research program and delivers technology landscapes, prototypes and demonstrators. The group advances and extends the Philips Lighting Research competencies in the fields of new consumer IoT architectures, novel connectivity paradigms, app-developments, highly accurate data analytics, data management, signal processing and new data driven business model developments.
You will work in a dynamic and challenging environment. Since you will be working in a team of experts, each with his/her own competence, you will gain a lot of knowledge on related topics in a short amount of time.
We welcome you to a challenging, dynamic and innovative environment with great opportunities for you to explore. Our benefits are very competitive and designed around your preferences:
- Depending on experience, a market conform salary;
- 25 Days of leave and the possibility to purchase up to 20 extra days off annually;
- A variable bonus based on both Philips results and personal performance;
- Extensive set of tools to drive your career, such as a personal development budget, free training and coaching;
- Solid company pension scheme and attractive collective health insurance package;
- Opportunity to buy Philips shares and products with discount.
We are looking for:
Our ideal candidate has:
- A MSc or PhD in computer science or another relevant area;
- For this Software engineer position, we require multiple years (3+) of preferably applied experience in the field of connected lighting, IoT or home automation, incl. affinity to the industrial research way of working;
- Broad software knowledge of embedded platforms (ARM M0/3/4) and interfaces (UART, I2C, SPI);
- Understanding of (digital) electronics;
- In-depth knowledge of ZigBee and Bluetooth Low Energy communication stacks. Knowledge of Wi-Fi and IP communication is a pre;
- Creative and abstract thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Affinity with algorithm development and mathematics;
- Hands-on experience incl. solid programming skills, C, C++, C#;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong personal relationships at all levels, both internal and external to Philips Research; with customers/clients, obtain their user needs and be able to transform those into practical efficient working solutions;
- Team worker in multidisciplinary and international settings, able to adapt quickly;
- Curious, proactive, fast learner able to quickly pick up new areas.
If you're interested in this opportunity to join us, please upload your resume and motivation letter through the Philips career site- vacancy number 264907.
As we have no closing date set, we urge you to apply as soon as possible!
Thrilled to know more about working at Philips Lighting? Check out: https://youtu.be/_jPjo_yR_0A.
After a pre-selection process you can receive an invite for a phone interview by the Talent Acquisition Consultant followed by (face-to-face) business interview rounds. The interviews will take place in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
Meet Some of Philips Lighting's Employees
Nick specializes in developing embedded software for Philips Lighting. He’s essentially responsible for implementing channels that connect hardware systems together.
Back to top