System Design Engineer
Job TitleSystem Design Engineer
We welcome you to join Philips IGT-Devices as a System Design Engineer in our San Diego, CA location.
In this role, you have the opportunity to work with a cutting edge product line - IGT Devices is part of the Philips Image Guided Therapy (IGT) business group. This role will lead system-level design on R&D projects while providing technical leadership on R&D projects and driving continuous process improvement.
Are you an experienced Systems Engineer who wants to be part of a dynamic team delivering cutting edge medical devices to the field?
Do you have a track record of applying the tools and methods of Systems Engineering to deliver complex cross-disciplinary projects?
Are you interested in cardiac/cardiovascular medical equipment/devices?
Then our opportunity within our Image Guided Therapy (IGT) business is the role for you!
You will be a System Design Engineer within the Philips IGT-Devices Systems Engineering organization.
RELOCATION assistance will be provided for the successful candidate!
You are responsible for
- Lead system-level design on R&D projects by gathering and understanding clinical and business needs and by translating these user needs into engineering requirements
- Distribute system requirements to component requirements and manage the traceability of these requirements from user needs all the way to verification and validation.
- Provide technical leadership on R&D projects.
- Drive continuous process improvement by identifying and implementing new and better processes and tools.
- Work with development teams to incorporate best practices of design for excellence in R&D projects: performance, reliability, compliance, serviceability and manufacturability.
- Mentor junior engineers in the discipline of Systems Engineering.
- Create partnerships with internal stakeholders (different functional areas) to optimize designs, manage risks, explore trade-offs, to deliver project goals.
- Drive compliance in product designs through knowledge and application of relevant standards.
- Ensure that the execution of all activities is in accordance with organization processes.
- Collaborate with the broader Philips Innovation organization (Research, Business Incubation, IGT-Systems) to provide optimal solutions
You are a part of
- Our solutions combine navigational tools such as catheters and guide wires with advanced software to help confirm the optimal treatment at the point of care: measurement technology, procedure-specific application support and on-board imaging and monitoring with improved anatomical and functional information to optimize therapy delivery. The IGT Devices organization consists of three segments: Coronary, Peripheral Vascular and Electrophysiology.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Degree in engineering, physics, or a related field from an accredited university
- 8+ years of experience in medical device R&D
- 4+ years of experience working as a Systems Engineer
- Extensive knowledge and intuitive grasp of applied statistics
- Track record of success in executing cross-disciplinary R&D projects
- Familiarity with the development of disposable medical devices
- Big picture thinking and ability to draw connections
- Ability to understand and plan product suites horizontally, as well as apply innovation thinking and envision product lines 3 to 5 years from today
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders, coordinate activities, build rapport, and reach agreements between multiple parties
- Experience with and understanding of assorted engineering product lifecycles: waterfall variations, agile; Experience with carrying out projects end to end.
- Experience with medical device standards such as IEC 60601
- Experience and ability to work with certification agencies (FDA), and implement and incorporate formal regulatory requirements
- Track record of building strong collaborative relationships with other functions (marketing, operations, Quality and Regulatory) to ensure successful project completion.
- Ability to communicate and influence using concise, structured writing; Ability to explain complex topics simply
- Experience working with lean methods and techniques
- Adaptability in the face of ambiguous and evolving situations
- Demonstrated skill in solving problems—technical and interpersonal
- Strong intellectual curiosity and relentless desire to learn and improve
- Experience coaching and mentoring other engineers
- Respect for good processes and the ability to distinguish good process from bad processes
- Good listening skills
In return, we offer you
We offer you the opportunity to grow within the organization and Philips – working cross functionally with R & D, on various projects and initiatives to drive our products to our customers and be a part of saving people's lives every day.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video
Find out more info about Philips at www.philips.com/na/careers
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to [email protected]
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Jose engineers the specific system level requirements for the Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He makes certain the detailed design of each device over-delivers on customer expectations every time.
Back to top