Staff Systems Engineer
Job TitleStaff Systems Engineer
Job DescriptionOur Team
Respironics Novametrix LLC, a subsidiary of Philips Healthcare and world leader in capnography sensors and related accessories, is looking to expand its Wallingford, CT team. Our vision is to deliver clinical solutions to our customers, whether indirectly through Original Equipment Manufacturers of medical equipment, or directly to clinical capnography users. Our history is grounded in the expert development of non-invasive cardio-respiratory sensors, measurements, and clinical decision support. Our products are key vital signs measurements found in patient monitor, defibrillators, critical care ventilators and diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices. Research and development are at the core of the future of the respiratory gas measurement field and are a key part of Respironics’ strategy for growth.
At Philips, we are driven by our mission to improve the lives of 3 billion people per year by 2025, and every day we move closer to achieving our goal by creating cutting-edge solutions that lead to confident diagnosis, improved care, and increased quality of life for patients. Thanks to our employees who share our passion for improving lives, we are at the forefront of the Healthcare industry leading in image guided interventions, ultrasound, patient monitoring, cardiology informatics, sleep therapy and respiratory care.
Named one of the Top 50 Happiest Companies in America in 2013, we enable our employees to create a legacy in life through their work and support their development through people-centric learning, total rewards and personalized development planning programs.
What a Staff Systems Engineer does:
- Develops core competencies in gas sensing technologies pertinent to respiratory gas monitoring;
- Generates requirements and system architectures for various medical device gas sensing and monitoring applications, including sub-systems and interface specifications for low cost embedded digital and analog gas monitoring instrumentation;
- Leads design analysis and performance characterization of low power, embedded firmware technologies;
- Integrates new technology, techniques, and concepts to enhance functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce production costs;
- Works with Manufacturing Engineering and contract manufacturers to plan and execute Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability activities;
- Stays current with advances in relevant gas sensing technologies and participates in relevant trade, technical and standards organizations (as appropriate).
Our Staff Systems Engineer:
- Develops and transfers new products and processes to production to meet aggressive business goals using a strong combination of system engineering and cross-functional teaming;
- Applies their background knowledge of electronics, mechanics, physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science to the development of state-of-the-art gas monitoring instrumentation and sensing technologies.
- Selects appropriate technologies matched to performance, cost and manufacturability requirements;
- Ensures success via technical leadership, collaboration and oversight of design activities through all phases of product development;
- Resolves technical challenges through the use of strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Works with project team members to identify and mitigate development risks and produce development plans;
- Spearheads proof of concept investigations and rapid prototyping to assess sensing technology feasibility and suitability in real-life scenarios.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Expertise
Our Staff Systems Engineer has the following background, qualifications and experience:
- 12+ years of experience developing new sensing products;
- MS degree in electronics/biomedical engineering/physics/chemistry is required; PhD preferred.
- Medical device-industry product development experience required, particularly small-size instrumentation; gas sensors, particularly infrared and/or electrochemical, is highly desirable;
- Demonstrable experience in the design of instrumentation incorporating digital and analog hardware, firmware, optics and mechanical systems;
- Experience with analysis, simulation and statistical evaluation tools (MATLAB, SimuLink, Pspice, MiniTab).
- Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) certification (Green Belt level) with actual project experience.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
In case of difficulties with your job application please send an email to [email protected]
Back to top