Sr. Systems Architect
Job TitleSr. Systems Architect
We welcome you to join Volcano a Philips Company as a Sr. Systems Architect in our San Diego, CA location.
In this role, you have the opportunity to work with an innovative product line - IGT Devices is part of the Philips Image Guided Therapy (IGT) business group.
As the Sr. Systems Architect, you will be responsible for the execution of the system architecture roadmap within R&D. You will work closely with the Advanced Development team to ensure the architecture roadmap is feasible and that R&D initiatives align with the roadmap. You will responsible for the system development and risk management strategies needed to accommodate system architecture changes. You will ensure proper alignment between product architecture, product requirements, system verification, and system validation. You will coach and mentor the system design team in the use of tools and methodologies to decompose user needs into system, subsystem, and component requirements. The successful candidate will be an accomplished technical expert capable of leading all system engineering activities to meet user needs, business objectives, and regulatory/safety standards (e.g. cost, size, reliability, maintainability, power, upgradability).
You must be able to interface with end users and internal stakeholders to ensure proper architecture scope, the implications on system design, and the deployment environment. Collaborate with other technical experts, architects, and System Engineers to understand and assess the available technological options. As the ideal candidate, you must be a self-starter with broad medical system expertise and a track record of consistently delivering high quality system architecture and design results.
You are responsible for
- Interface with the clinicians, sales, service, manufacturing and other stakeholders in order to determine their (evolving) needs
- Generate the highest level of system requirements, based on the user's needs and other constraints
- Ensure that this set of high level requirements is consistent, complete, correct, and operationally defined
- Establish the system engineering levels of abstraction semantics to unify the team with a common frame of reference for communication, decomposition, and verification
- Perform cost–benefit analyses to determine whether requirements are best met by manual, software, or hardware functions; making maximum use of commercial off-the-shelf or already developed components
- Partition large systems into (successive layers of) subsystems and components each of which can be handled by a single engineer or team of engineers or subordinate architect
- Interface with the design and implementation engineers and architects, so that any problems arising during design or implementation can be resolved in accordance with the fundamental design concepts, and user needs and constraints
- Ensure that a maximally robust design is developed
- Generate a set of acceptance test requirements, together with the designers, test engineers, and the user, which determine that all of the high level requirements have been met, especially for the computer-human-interface
- Generate products such as sketches, models, an early user guide, and prototypes to keep the user and the engineers constantly up to date and in agreement as the system design evolves
- Provide oversight of all system design documents
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering, a Master's of Science Biomedical Engineering or an advanced degree in the Biological Sciences is desirable
- The ability to communicate effectively both in writing and in face to face conversation in English, other language skills are a plus, but explicit English is required
- Experience as an engineer in manufacturing support and experience in Design Development is preferred
- Exposure to or understanding of a technical services level position, such as a technician, field service, and or manufacturing
- A broad interest in Science, Physics, Biology, Medicine, and Engineering outside of specialty is helpful
Desired Technical Skillsets
- Experience in the use of system engineering tools such as context/interface diagrams, functional modeling, FMEAs, QFD, and Pugh.
- Electronic analog and digital hardware design skills and processes and/or mechanical design skills and the use of CAD software is important. Knowledge about materials and methods used for forming and fabricating electronics devices is helpful
- Deep understanding of Computers, Computer Hardware, and the tradeoff in cost and functions between manufacturers and components. Understanding the limitations of computational resources is required.
- A good understanding of ultrasound physics and mathematics or at least Radar and/or Optical physics and the propagation of energy through space
- Familiarity with Medical Development regulations as in FDA 21 CFR part 820, ISO 13485, ISO 14791, The Medical Device Directive, Safety as in EN60601-1 and EMC as in EN60601-1-2 and subordinate regulations
- Experience with DfR (Design for Reliability) tools
- Knowledge of the Hospital Cath-labs and Surgeries and the requirements therein
In return, we offer you
We offer you the opportunity to grow within the organization and Philips – working cross functionally with R & D, on various projects and initiatives to drive our products to our customers and be a part of saving people's lives every day.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video
Find out more info about Philips at www.philips.com/na/careers
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it. In case of technical difficulties, please send an email to [email protected]
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)
Meet Some of Philips's Employees
Jose engineers the specific system level requirements for the Philips Sonicare oral healthcare products. He makes certain the detailed design of each device over-delivers on customer expectations every time.
Back to top